T-5 ???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
I use a ice cap 660 to run two 56w giesman T-5 actinic blue+ bulbs..
It is REALLY bright and not as dark blue as I would like..the corals still act as if the MH are on so they are not getting the dimming effect

Should I ?
1= replace ballast with smaller for darker light

2= try to find a place for two more bulbs to "lessen" the amount of bright light

3= quite trying to change things and just deal with it

The IceCap 600 is overdriving the two 54W bulbs at approximately 85 watts each. That is why they are so darn bright.

You could swap out the two T5 actinics for two T12 VHO actinics if you have the room for the larger T12 endcaps. Some people prefer T12 actinics over T5 actinics.

Gary

I may have to look into that
I doo have room for bigger end caps
I really dont care about the bulbs I just want the darker actinic look and not so bright ,light blue

OR ADD another T5, I think they can drive up to 4 of the 4 footers. Look on the website to see how it is wired!

I still have the book for the ballast :)
Do you think adding two bulbs will dim them down??
I thought this will just use the entire ballast instead of just half??
I may be wrong??

I am going to get a 660 and hook up 4 3' super actnic VHO's.Cheaper then hook up 2 6'

One other option is to just switch out the blue 460 bulbs for a more true actinic 420 bulbs like the ATI True Actinic03 or Giesemann Pure Actinics. On my T5 fixtures the actinic bulbs don't seem nearly as bright as the blue bulbs.

Like Gary said though, people say that t5 actinics don't seem to give the same 'pop' as their T12 VHO brothers.

You should ask the Icecap folks. Check this out, too:

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...y_High-Output_Retrofit_Kit_w!_Bulbs_by_IceCap

"IceCap ballast engineered to "over-drive" each bulb to approximately 85 watts for superior output. Because the bulbs are being over-driven cooling fans are required to maintain both bulb output and bulb life."

The description for the 4-lamp VHO retrofit also says that the 660 ballast overdrives all four lamps to 85W. I do not know if just these particular ballasts are tuned to overdrive the T5 lamps, or if all newer 660 ballasts will similarly overdrive the 48" T5 lamps.

g

I use a ice cap 660 to run two 56w giesman T-5 actinic blue+ bulbs..
It is REALLY bright and not as dark blue as I would like..the corals still act as if the MH are on so they are not getting the dimming effect

Should I ?
1= replace ballast with smaller for darker light

2= try to find a place for two more bulbs to "lessen" the amount of bright light

3= quite trying to change things and just deal with it

I pick C LOL but if you do switch up I would go with VHO. To me the acts are nicer with them.

I vote for option 4

Change the end caps to VHO for the icecap 660 and then buy an icecap 440 to run the T-5s.

I love the look of my T-5's along side of my VHO's when the MH are off. Only for an hour or two a day though.

Its the "grass is always greener" syndrome. Alot of VHO users wish they had t-5s for actinic supplement and vise versa. I say " why not have both?"

thanks guys
I may just switch it up to a 440 Ice cap and keep the 660 laying around for back up?
Does the 440 overdrive T-5 bulbs to 85 watts like the 660???

Steven what it the Length limits of the 660 ballast using T5's?
I had VHO's & T5's & like either one If I already had them.

I thought the look was what your after, which I'm sure if the 660 overdrives them that much of the normal 54 watts then it will hard to tell what color shift your going to get but it should look on the lighter side of blue.
It may be as simple as replacing the lamps as mentioned to get the colors you desire, I wouldn't buy another ballast just for that, unless you find a good used one maybe since your only driving two lamps.

Yes scooter I am going for the darker blue and not as bright..
I will do what ever it takes..
I have had three different types of bulbs,..
the only thing I haven't tried is the 420 bulbs.

You have to question which ballast will drive the bulbs at their rating & not overdrive them in that case. I was thinking adding more blues would do it but Steven is right your just going to get more light because they are overdriven & your adding more lights, I was thinking of something different to get more blue with that ballast but that isn't a good idea. Ie. maybe adding two lamps on one circuit to reduce power but that isn't good for the ballast.
Soo I would inquire about the 430 or a workhorse ballast to see what they put out with the length & diameter lamps your wanting to use, you could even go to H.D. & get you one of their ballast to do what your wanting to do & maybe save you some coins.

thanks guys
I may just switch it up to a 440 Ice cap and keep the 660 laying around for back up?
Does the 440 overdrive T-5 bulbs to 85 watts like the 660???

The 430 will only operate up to two T5's whereas the 660 can do four that are 4' each or less. But, they both run the 54 watt T5's to about 80 watts each. Switching ballasts won't make it dimmer either.

I don't get a lot of people asking me how to get less light out of their systems. ;) I would swap out the lamps and use straight 420 nm actinics.

Back