T-5's for SPS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looking at upfront costs and and future costs. I don't really like the 2x175w with 2x39w actinics. I'm thinking about going with a 250w Icecap ballast with lumenarc 3 mini DE reflector and a HQI phoenix bulb. I would also include the T-5 actinics. Will this give me the light intensity I want. Is it superior to 4x39w T-5 with an icecap ballast.

250W in a 16 inch tank is kind of a lot but its doable as long as you keep your lower light corals in the shade.

Does the DE put out that much more light. I would kind of prefer SE since you have to be so careful with HQI's. PM me with more details.

Now that my lighting has been solved, I need to look at flow. Right now I'm thinking about this
2 Koralia 4's- 2400gph
1 Maxijet 1200- 295gph
3 Maxijet 900- 600 gph (I want to put this on a Aquarium Systems Natural Wave)
Mag Drive 7- 700gph (This is the sump return. Not much flow but helps.)

How does this sound for a 40g bdr.

I have a Koralia 1 & 3 for my smaller 34g tank, I really like them. You probably could do away with one MJ1200 & still have enough flow, too many PH's won't look so well.

What about upping the 900's to 1200's and dropping the single 1200 not on the controller. I may look to a CL down the line to cut out a couple powerheads.

That could be an option also, lots of flow options out there. CL is by far a neater option to go & not that much more complicated to set-up & probably cheaper.

How important is that on/off flow. It seems so easy, but so hard to create for a decent price. Would two koralia 3's be able to diffuse the main current of the 4's and create a nice crashing effect between the two.

I have a 3 going against a 1 & it seems to be very crazy to me, which I like. Probably a 2 would of been better though, so I'm thinking you would like that!

I guess that would depend on the length of your 40g tank, What are you thinking, getting 4 of the 4's & put one opposite of the other? Maybe start out with two 4's & put them across each other & sell how you like it, unless your wanting to keep all sps you may be fine with that & the three MJ1200's on that wave box. To me the Koralias put out a nice wide pattern, the maxi's are small & tight to start with but I haven't seen them with the MJ mod kits, I hear that makes a big difference.

I was thinking of going 4xk4's. I will wait until I can get the tank up and running with water to see what the flow looks like. I did completely forget about this, but with all the flow, the fish may not be able to get out in the open. That may favor the maxijet wave maker.

Have you heard any early reports on the polario. I think its one of the better options, but still to early and expensive.

Are the pacific coast flow accelerators worth setting up a pressure rated pump. They say they can increase flow by 400%, but I'm a little skeptical.

I have plans on upgrading to a 75g and the T-5's don't give me a lot of flexibility to do that. I'm gonna go with 2x175w MH and 2x39w T-5 supplement. Does this sound good. I'm gonna have the lights pretty far off the water, since I want a big canopy and to avoid heat. I'm thinking 12"-14" is good.

just my 02 cents. if you run an ice cap 660 with t5s you can up your bulb sizes to 48 inch on the 75 later. if you are just going to keep them on the 40 then a 440 ballst would be fine. you would be surprised how well t5s work on sps especially in the shallower tanks. you can also use a 36inch nova extreme pro. inexpensive all inclusive fixture. that one is a 6 bulb. 240 watts plenty for a 40. the other thing to worry about with halides is heat.

I have plans on upgrading to a 75g and the T-5's don't give me a lot of flexibility to do that. I'm gonna go with 2x175w MH and 2x39w T-5 supplement. Does this sound good. I'm gonna have the lights pretty far off the water, since I want a big canopy and to avoid heat. I'm thinking 12"-14" is good.

Now that my lighting has been solved, I need to look at flow. Right now I'm thinking about this
2 Koralia 4's- 2400gph
1 Maxijet 1200- 295gph
3 Maxijet 900- 600 gph (I want to put this on a Aquarium Systems Natural Wave)
Mag Drive 7- 700gph (This is the sump return. Not much flow but helps.)

How does this sound for a 40g bdr.

figure 30 times flow per gallon. so your 40 would be good at 1200 gph. 2 koralia 4s and your return will kick butt.

Back