T5 HO bulb configuration

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I'm purchasing a 48" Sunlight Supply Tek5 5 bulb fixture. I need help deciding which bulbs to get and what configuration to put them in. The fixture has 2 switches. One switch controls the 2 outside bulbs and the other switch controls the 4 inner bulbs. Here's a link to the fixture I'm getting.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...T5_HO_Fluorescents_(Black)_by_Sunlight_Supply

Not sure if I'm getting it from reefgeek or not though. Here's a link to the bulbs they offer, they seem to have a pretty extensive selection.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Bulbs/

From what I can figure from their page, they recommend 1 Daylight (6500K), 2 Aquablue+ (11,000K) and 3 Actinic/Blue+ bulbs, for a total of 6 bulbs. I don't know how they suggest the bulbs be configured in the fixture though. I also don't know about this bulb recommendation. It seems to me that it'd be a lot more blue than white. I do want some blue but not an overpowering blue. Although maybe the Actinic/Blue+ are less blue that I'm thinking.
This fixture will be sitting on a 75 gallon reef tank. It will be predominantly LPS and SPS. I'd eventually like to get one of the less light demanding clams as well. I am not going with the hanging kit, I'll be getting the leg/support stand instead. I'm thinking that the fixture will sit about 2"-4" above the water and have about 18" of water to penetrate to the substrate.
Any suggestions on which bulbs, how many of each and how to configure them in the fixture would be appreciated!! I need to know which bulbs to get before I order the fixture as I'll be ordering the bulbs at the same time.

Thanks!!!

This is what I run personally:
1 x UV L Aquasun
1 x UV L S Actinic
2 x ATI Blue+
1 x ATI Aquablue

My S Actinic and one fo the Blue+ are on for sunrise/sunset. Its very vlue with just those two. The toher bulbs whiten it up some, but my set up looks more 14kish. I have been contemplating swapping out on of the blue+'s for one of the 3k bulbs, I think that would be best.

If you want something more 10kish though, avoid the blue+. Personally I like all the flourescing colors the blues bring out.

I have two fixtures and am currently running 3 Actinic+ and 3 Aquablue+ bulbs in each fixture. I am waiting on two Midday bulbs to arrive at my door by Saturday. It's a nice crisp white, but I think one less Aquablue+ bulb will tone the white down a bit.

Alright, that answers part of my question. How would you suggest the lights actually be arranged in the fixture, given that 1 switch operates the 2 outside lights and the other switch operates the 4 inner bulbs?

So if I'm looking for something in the range of 10K-14K, I should go with something like 2 Actinic+, 2 Aquablue+ and 2 Daylights? I'd think the first switch would probably operate 1 Actinic+ and 1 Aquablue+, so as not to be so bright for my early morning and evening lighting. Then the second switch would activate the other Actinic+, the other Aquablue+ and the Daylight bulbs? How does that sound?

Maybe this will make it all a lil' easier to understand. Here's the email quote that I got today from Reefgeeks. I called them earlier today and asked them to give me a quote on a total set up. I explained to them what type of tank I was putting together. I gave them an idea of what types of corals I wanted to keep. I asked them to suggest bulbs for the unit. The quote comes with their suggested bulbs. Although it still doesn't give me an idea of how to configure them in the fixture.

Hi Michael,

If you have any questions, just let me know. We are here to help!

1 -- Sunlight Supply 48" Tek Light: 6-54W T5 HO Fluorescents (Black) -- $309.00
1 -- Sunlight Supply Tek Light Bracket/Legs Support System (Black) -- $57.95
2 -- ATI 54W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent -- 41.90
1 -- UV Lighting 54W Super Actinic T5 HO Fluorescent -- $21.95
1 -- UV Lighting 54W 10000K AquaSun T5 HO Fluorescent -- $21.95
1 -- ATI 54W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent -- $21.95
1 -- GE 54W 3000K Daylight T5 HO Fluorescent -- $12.95

Subtotal - $487.65
Shipping - $0.00
Total - $487.65

Greg Morgan

ReefGeek, Inc.
310-679-4955
866-295-9230 (toll-free)

I'll tell you that you won't go wrong with Reef Geek. I've ordered three different tek lights from them and had a shipping disaster with the bulbs once, and there was no questions asked. Throw them away and he overnighted replacements. No hassle to take pictures of them or return or anything. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them.

Back