T5 Light Height?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

colin779

I currently have two 24W T5 HO lights above my 20 gallon tank. One is a 6700k full spectrum bulb, and the other is an actinic (i believe 420 actinic). Is this enough light for my aquarium and the correct spectrum bulbs? The other question i have is what is a good height for the lights to be above the aquarium? The Fixture is adjustable.

my two cents. dont under estimate the power of t5. raise it as high as possible then lower it every week.... if you can raise it more than 12 inches then do it.... take it time lowering it... signs are bleaching... my two cents

I think a lot of it also depends on if you're using SLR's (single light reflectors) These will make your light source a lot brighter than not having them.

The setup i have is one reflector for the two bulbs, it is a Hagen Glo setup. Right now i have some Xenia, a few different kinds of leathers, a chili coral, mushrooms, some zoanthids, and a candycane.

Hello,
I have a few tanks and all my T5's are located about 5 -6 inches above the water. It seems to be a good height for them as all my corals are growing great. As far as the bulbs, actinics are great and they give great spectrum for growth (Softies/LPS). The 6700K is more for plants and a 10K - 20K would give you much better coral growth. Also the higher the K the bluer the look and that's the reason most keep to around 10K to 20K. My tanks that have only T5's have actinics with daylight bulbs. I like the look of the actinics, but I need and my fish need to know it's daytime :). Just my 2 cents.

Back