T5 lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mlawrencemsc

Ocellaris
How much light is to much on a 40 Long 36 x 18 x 13? I'm looking into T5 lighting. 6x39 watt bulbs over a 40 long would be 6x39=234, 234 divided by 40 gals=5.85 watts per gal If I did it right. Also looking at MH 250 + 220VHO=470 watts divided by 40 gals=11.75 watts per gallon. Is this the right way to figure watts per gallon? The T5's should be cooler running lights too, right?

Yes T5's run a lot cooler. But before you run off and go buy some, you will need to decide if you are going to be running a fish-only, LPS, SPS or any combination of the three.

For an SPS and for some LPS corals, I would not recommend goiing with T-5's.
For these types of corals you have to go mh's (250 or 400watts) or you will be selling yourself short. As for a bulb, I prefer a 20K bulb, but 14K bulbs will work too. With these bulbs you will not need any supplemental lighting.

Good Luck and I hope your tanks kicks ass.

Thanks, petitreef
I don't really want to get into any stoney corals, I'll stay with anemones and clownfish. Either the Haddion Carpet or BTA, RBTA, with around 50 lbs of live rock and about 2" of live sand and a protien skimmer of course, 6 or 8 percs or ocll clowns. T5 or 250 MH?

T5s will work but 250 mh will give you more run to grow.

If heat and space are concerns, then t5s are the way to go.

If you are going t5s, what type of bulbs are you going to use?

For the T5s I was thinking 4 white or daylight and 2 actinic 03. The MH fixture I was looking at is 250 MH with 2 x 110 watt VHOs. I was thinking 03s for the VHOs also and get the daylight 10000k MH bulb. I'm also looking at a used MH Dual 175 watt pendant. I don't want to have to much light. The tank I'm getting is only going to be either 13" deep or 17" not sure which one I'm getting yet.

Last edited:
Haddonis need very high light, and will take up most of your 40g tank. Mine is on the small side at 18" diameter. T5's would be fine for a tank that depth. If you go with MH stick to 175w.

Back