T5 lighting?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

marinegeek101

D and L
Hi,
I have T5 lighting for my aquarium and its pretty far from my aquarium. I would say 6-8 inchs. Should it be completely on top of the aquarium or is this good. My aquarium is 32" by 19 1/2 ".

here,

t5 lighting
Picture3000182.jpg

closer the better

i would lower it if you have high light demanding corals!!! if not, it really doesn't matter..what corals are you keeping???

i think his are higher than the ones in the pic..they "appear" to be about 3" above the water in the pic

so do T5's run um h ow do I put this? Can my husband install them in an existing canopy w/o a fan? it looks like T5's need to be a little higher than power compacts. Sheesh if I knew I was actually going to need physics I would have paid more attention in class! :)

Hi,
I have T5 lighting for my aquarium and its pretty far from my aquarium. I would say 6-8 inchs. Should it be completely on top of the aquarium or is this good. My aquarium is 32" by 19 1/2 ".

I run mine 6" above the water level and have no problem with my sps......except for the power outtage!:evil:

they do put off heat.... my fixture has a small fan at the end to pull the warm air outta the sealed unit.... but if you have a large enought opening win a vent the air (hot) would find its way out

I have 6 54 T5 tubes over a 5 feet long(150 cm) nearlly 100G JUWEL aquarium, and it seems to my eyes to much lighting!!What is the bulb spectrum that you use?Mine are 3 arccadia daylight, 2 arcadia actinic and one sylvania ~6500K that makes tha ''sun'' effect...

PS:sorry for the hijacking!!!!

I run a 5 x 39W unit over my 40 gallon and have sps in the top half. I run a relativley simple system but am still able to get .5 inch+ growth a month outta my sps. I imagine I could do a bit better if I had a fuge/sump/ca reactor/phos reactor etc.
My light unit is presently 5 inches off the water on some custom stands but I plan on using a hanging system so I can them down to about 1 inch off the water. I bet I will see an increase in growth when I do.

Peace

Last edited:
I have 6 54 T5 tubes over a 5 feet long(150 cm) nearlly 100G JUWEL aquarium, and it seems to my eyes to much lighting!!What is the bulb spectrum that you use?Mine are 3 arccadia daylight, 2 arcadia actinic and one sylvania ~6500K that makes tha ''sun'' effect...

PS:sorry for the hijacking!!!!

Your eyes can't be used to determine how much light is required, it may seem super bright but the light intensity required by corals into the depts of water is usually way higher than what we put on our tanks, when comparing to the suns natural light.;)

Back