T5 Wattage needed for 90 tall

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dmbusha

We're looking at two options for T5 lighting... a 6x54 set up or an 8x54 set up. Right now we are using two PCs and have 440 watts total between the two of them. Would a 6 bulb be much of an upgrade or is going to an 8 bulb better for our size tank?

We also need to know what the preferred bulb line up is in the hood.
Thanks!

Thats what we were thinking. We were told that with an 8 bulb we would be getting about 8 watts per gallon. Is that because of the individual reflectors boosting the wattage? Thanks for your help.

A bulb can not be judged on wattage alone.....and thus the whole thoery on how many watts per gallon is out the window. Lighting is a complex issue....but from my experience I can tell you that an 8 light 54watt system would be slightly better then your current system. Although at this point I sugest you step into 2 light Metal halide system. Bulb replacement gets expensive when you have 8 or so bulbs to replace.

IMO unless you will be using Sunlight Supply or IceCap individual parabolic reflectors there will really not be much of an advantage to switching over to T5's. The reflectors specifically designed for those lamps make all the difference in the world. A 6-bulb unit with IC or SLS reflectors would be a huge improvement over what you have now, where as a 8 bulb T5 system with just one big flat reflector for all the bulbs wouldn't be much of an improvement at all.

Back