T5s Too Bright for Lionfish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seagem

Lurker
Just moved everybody (again) to the 75 gallon yesterday. I call it my 10-10-10 tank. Got my Current Sundial T5 HO fixture over it - I've had it since December of last year but am only putting it to use now. I'm running only the LEDs, one actinic lamp, and one 10000k lamp and it's VERY bright - like daylight in my basement. My fuzzy dwarf seems to like cruising when only the actinics and/or the LEDs are on. It doesn't seem to like the daylight bulb too much because it spends a lot of time under an overhanging rock when it's on. I'm thinking of getting a little more rock in the tank so Spitter (the lionfish) can have more choices on where to hang out during the 'daytime'. With all the bright light available now, I am leaning towards getting some zoas or mushrooms in the tank. Just some undemanding coral when it comes to chemistry, if you know what I mean. I think my lights should be sufficient for some mushrooms. I really don't want to run more lights for one, because of the expense, and for another I don't think I could stand to have my basement so bright - I do live in the Northwest, after all! As it stands, I'm somewhat worried about my lionfish getting blinded by the lights and if I have to choose, I will choose my fuzzy and just use a dual fluorescent bulb over the tank. Will my lionfish be okay with the 10000k bulb?

He will be fine in the light, give him some more rock caves to hang in if that's what he likes. You would be suprized how many different corals you can have under moderate T5 lighting. As for being undemanding when it comes to water chemistry, what exactly do you mean:confused:? Do you expect to not have good water quality? Do you just not want to have to dose or run reactors and skimmers and all that? I suggest some zoas/palys, shrooms/ricordia, leathers, and beginner LPS if you don't plan on constantly monitoring all your chemistry, but you should be willing to watch your water perameters anyway if you love your fish so much!:)
No matter what kind of livestock you get, there can be problems. I don't think any coral or fish should be labeled as "easy" to care for.

Your lionfish should adjust to the new lighting I would think in time. I mean, they live in the wild under the brightest light on earth (the sun) :p . I would think it would adapt to the new conditions just like how the lionfish that aren't native to the Bahamas have adapted here. Somehow they made their way to the Bahamas and you can find them in water as shallow as 3ft and have adapted well to a change in water, climate, temperature and shallow waters they probably aren't accustomed to. Give him some time and if he still seems reluctant to come out when the lights are on full blast, then making some more overhangs for him to get some shade might be a good idea. Good luck! :)

Lionfish are "reclusive" and timid and do better in a tank where they can "hide" from the light, and other tank inhabitants. A tank, housing a lionfish, should have plenty of "caves" and "over hangs" that the fish can use for refuge. Being able to "escape" the light will make them feel much more comfortable, leading to better health.

You can keep these fish in a highly lit tank, as long as you offer them places to get in the shadows, for a lil' peace and quiet.

So Sid, are they more of a nocturnal type of fish?? When I dive around reefs here, I've seen quite a few lionfish out in plain site just sitting. :)

They aren't 100% nocturnal. I've owned a large Volitan for years now and it seems happy enough hovering around the tank during the day... even during feeding time.

Although a more natural approach to feeding it would be to introduce a small live fish after dark for it to hunt. Makes the lion feel more at home.

Again, there is no problem training and feeding your lion during daylight hours Just make sure that you aren't over feeding it. They have been known to eat too large a meal or just too much of a meal that causes a block in their digestive system which will cause death.

@ Faciosity - I didn't want to have to dose or run reactors, is what I meant. I want to have corals that I can maintain with just regular water changes. I am watching the 'livestock for sale' forum right now for what other members have available for sale. Might start with some ricordeas or zoos. I really don't want to introduce any pests to my tank and I feel that I should be able to trust other members to be upfront about their livestock. The tank really looks very bright - who knows, I might get ambitious and actually consider an anemone one of these distant days.

Good luck!:) I kept my reef pretty successfully for a little more than 2 years now with just regular water changes (no dosing or reactors), and have kept tons of zoas/palys, shrooms/rics, leathers, lots of LPS and a good amount of SPS. Until recently, I didn't even have a skimmer or any of the so called "necessary equipment". Just good flow, lots of circulation, good surface movement and regular water changes with a high quality salt. I've never even used ro water!:eek::oops:
I don't advise repeating what I did, but it is very much possible.:D

@ Faciosity - I didn't want to have to dose or run reactors, is what I meant. I want to have corals that I can maintain with just regular water changes. I am watching the 'livestock for sale' forum right now for what other members have available for sale. Might start with some ricordeas or zoos. I really don't want to introduce any pests to my tank and I feel that I should be able to trust other members to be upfront about their livestock. The tank really looks very bright - who knows, I might get ambitious and actually consider an anemone one of these distant days.

Back