T6 HO Flourescents

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

young_skywalker

I saw some fixtures using T6 HO bulbs and was wondering if anyone has used or seen these types of fixtures? Do they compare to T5s? I was thinking they would compare fairly closely

I've never heard of T6, however, that would make them slightly larger in diameter than T5s. The 2 things that really make T5s "shine" is since they're smaller diameter bulbs, you can fit more over a tank, and also because of their size, it's more practical to have individual reflectors or a reflector that wraps around each bulb. This reflector style greatly increases the amount of light that's reflected down into the water. With that being said, there's still some T5 fixtures out there that have a single, flat reflector. Steer clear of those!!

This is what i could find about them. and I don't think they compare to T5's in light output.
The thicker glass would positively block more of the light spectrum, but i couldn't find anything about there diameter. so if there small enough they could easily be a budget way of lighting, considering ballasts for T12 bulbs are dirt cheap. just takes more lights over the tank, "IF" you have the room :p

T6 Fluorescent Lamps - THE NEXT GENERATION of T5 lamps are direct replacements for standard T12 fixtures. No need to buy expensive T5 fixtures, or retrofit existing fixtures to use shorter T5 lamps. T6 have standard bipin (G13 base) connection. These lamps have thicker glass, which makes them more durable, and they operate at slightly lower temperatures than standard T5 lamps. The T6 Fluorescent Lamps provide 10% to 40% more light output than standard fluorescent lamps (meaning T12).

I saw the fixtures on aqua traders and they seemed like it would be a pretty decent budget light for the price it can't go that wrong right?

Just to clarify something I mentioned earlier about diameter, Fluorescent bulbs are measured in 8ths of an inch...this T5 are 5/8" in diameter, T12 would be 1 1/2" in diameter. This is why you're able to fit more T5 bulbs over a tank and drastically increase lighting. The T6s don't at all seem like a way to go for our reef tanks.

"Luke, us the force, get a hammer & bang in them el cheapo t6's"

LOL

T6's from what I've seen & they have been around a while now are IMO an attempt to sell them as a competitor to the T5's, are typically cheaper & probably harder to find replacement lamps. I may be wrong though, this is just my opinion from all the sales ad's super cheap, I haven't found anything reliable enough to say any more or better on them so it is pure speculation on my part. I'm guessing a smaller diameter lamp that fits the normal T12 lamp fixture, so in that aspect they may have some advantages but why would you go half way when for 80% more cost you can do it right :)

well the reason I was thinking of doing it was the cost, I'm a college student and I was just going to use a small fixture for a 15 gallon tank I was going to setup. I was told that the T6s are ran on HO ballasts and figured it would be similar to the T5s

Heck without getting too technical, you probably can keep lots of stuff under them, just don't get too aggressive on what you try to keep,read up on the needs of your corals & you should be fine. Not sure how well the lights will do for you is all the point but hey I kept fish only with normal fluorescents in my 30g tank.

dude, just buy the t5 unit they have for sale...

they dont have individual reflectors, so the par isnt as nice as the high end units, but still plenty great to grow softies and lps if your tank isnt too deep...
or in the the top end of a deep tank.
i would also look at replacing the crappy bulbs it comes with, get some geisemann bulbs instead.

oh wait, this is for 15g...
you should do a 24x12x12 15g tank so you can buy a 24" light fixture, like i did, it's so shallow, it wont matter too much.
but i noticed that they dont have a 24" t5 fixture there, only pc, t6, and mh/pc...sucky

I was looking for a T5 for my 29 gal tank and I come across this... https://www.commodityaxis.com/ProductData.aspx?id=68 It is T5HO and with individual aluminum reflector at ~$20 per piece now (this is with 50% off). This is a disposable unit but for $20 I think this is a good deal.

those things are pretty cheap. I use one to light my cabnet under my tank. Works pretty good for that. They have one cord for each one so you would have to make a mount for them and figure out how to secure them on it and then use a power strip for all those cords. then you probably have to replace them in 6 months or a year for sure. I would think the whole thing would be pretty lame for a reef tank. You would be better off bying some of those big florescent bulbs at home depot with those big round reflectors and shine them down on your tank IMO.

Bummer....order 2 last night....Hopefully they can last for 6 month+. Will find out what they look like next week......

Back