Tacky Question, How much do you spend on your hobby per year?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tacky Question, how much do you spend on your hobby per year?

• Under $500.00

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • $500.00 to $1,000

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • $1,000 to $2,000

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Over $2,000

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters
no more than a grand??? including electricity?

hmm,,,i dont want to know,,,,refuse to attempt it,,,,(placing hands on ears.....singing..lalalalalalalalalala)

Hmmm, depends on which year you are talking about here :D

the first year I prolly spent about $1200. This year getting close to $2000 already.

:razz: i voted 1000 to 2000 but i hope im wrong, but the year is only half over:lol:

dave:p

I voted for over $2000, but I haven't experienced a full year with this tank other than set-up. When I think about the cost of water, filters for RO/DI unit, bulb replacement, electricity costs, food, livestock, new equipment, etc....I think I'll be getting in that range.

I think $1500-2000. It has been considerably cheaper since I joined a Club. I have gotten things at better prices. I have traded or just been given corals.

I recently made a list of basic items required over the course of a year (bulbs, filters, carbon, test kits, kalk powder, RO/DI carts, salt, etc) and it totalled about $1,200. That doesn't include any new equipment, electricity, livestock or emergency replacements. So I voted $1,000 to $2,000

And yes, I make lists for everything :rolleyes:

Price of new tank, sump, and plumbing : $1000
Price of new stand : $ 800
Price of new skimmer : $200 est.
Price of new RO/DI : $140
Price of new MH/VHO lighting : $700 est.
Price of new sink installation in the garage for the tank : $ 400
Price of my wife laughing watching my frustrations : Priceless

Cost of electricity, salt, food, etc. are probably the only cheap things that I have spent money on in the past few months. :)

Price of my wife laughing watching my frustrations : Priceless

LOL! My husband has had some good laughs at me, too. Too bad I didn't think the situations were very funny :)

So far this year I've dropped a little over $3,500 @ Aquatic Dreams.

That includes my new 125 Gallon Tank/Stand & Super cool light. Watch for a thread very soon :)

Let's talk painful joy. I just finished setting up my new 180. I am just starting to stock it. Now that the major costs are out of the way (tank, stand & canopy, sump, skimmer, etc.) I just found out my chiller is just not big enough. To the tune of another six hundredish bucks I now have a new chiller on the way. I am afraid to add this years total.
Thank goodness I don't have to answer to a spouse to where my money goes! Ha, Ha! :)

Well now :) Light bulbs and electricity are about $1500 a year. I don't buy livestock anymore but test kits, filters, and additives are another $750 for a total of about $2,250 per year.

I initially spent about $20,000K :rolleyes: (that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

Regards,
Kevin

I have over $7,000 to start and don't have any idea how much I've spent for the last three yrs,but I would say in the range of $2,000 is not far from wrong, my wife says its to much but she likes to look at the tanks so doesn't complain too loud, except for when she has to clean the water spots off the carpet every now and then.

I started this year with a 2000$ budget and have spent more then that in just light fixtures once you get into this it really gets ahold of you. I am in for the long haul but my first year and i am over 9K$ and i still dont have the 75 gallon tank up & running yet but to see what we can have is worth every penny to me plus I need you guys to keep using that electricity LOL....thanks..jeff

My initial setup was budgeted at about $15,000. and I know i went over that with the electrical setup. Power costs jumped about $80 a month, and I haven't really sat down and figured the cost of lite replacement and all the other stuff that goes into growing and maintaining my little toy.

Back