take live stock from Hawaii back to WA

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hawaiian Thread reseraction

I thought Instead of starting a new thread I would post a question on this thread as it has allot of good info to offer. I plan on going to Hawaii this fall and would like some pointers,tips, & suggestions on were to snorkel and see some great reef spots around Oahu? any tips would be greatly appeciated and all I plan on doing is taking pictures :D
Jeff..

I thought Instead of starting a new thread I would post a question on this thread as it has allot of good info to offer. I plan on going to Hawaii this fall and would like some pointers,tips, & suggestions on were to snorkel and see some great reef spots around Oahu? any tips would be greatly appeciated and all I plan on doing is taking pictures :D
Jeff..

Okay...Hanauma Bay is an awesome spot to snorkel; however, you will find a TON of people there and a lot of dead coral/rock close to shore. This is a park that many people take their kids to play in the water, however they don't realize how incredibly significant the area really is. The good snorkeling is only realized by swimming pretty far out toward the opening of the bay. Not ALL the way out, but, trust me, you will know when you have hit the jackpot! It is a unreal sight to see what's there. I have spent many summers growing up in Kailua at my Aunt's house and always always always go here. But you really have to go out past where all the kiddies play in order to see anything really good. And please, don't stand on or touch the rocks!

Also Turtle Bay near the North Shore is a great place and really not that crowded. It's a resort so you kind of have to pick your moment. Right on the other side of the resort is Shark Cove(I think that's the name). This has rays swimming along with MANY turtles and it is HEAVEN!

I concur with the suggestions of Hanauma Bay and Sharks Cove. I have done both of them and both can get crowded. If your taking children, I would stick with Hanauma Bay, but it does get extremely crowded. There are also some catamaran tour boats that offer snorkling which can be very nice but cost almost $100. If you really know what you are doing try the park across from the old electric plant. Again for there, you really need to know what you are doing or you can get in trouble. Also, be aware that theft at those locations is fairly high, just another factor to consider.

wait....im confused about this thread did you say you want to take home livestock or liverock....livestock you can take home....live rock you cant (unless it is store bought aquacultured molokai live rock) I've seen it done before that as long as you see a TSA agent days before you leave and tell them you want to take a bag of fish or two home with you they can give you the clearence to hand carry the fish on the plane....it's been done....or check them in as baggage....or fed ex if you mark two day shipping with fed ex most parts of washington will take 1 day to get there....taking live rock from the beach or water is a no no and carries a fine of up to $10,000 per rock you have in our possesion illegally....unless it's store bought and you have a receipt I would not take a chance on a rock but fish and inverts is ok to take home as long as a licenced collector collects them for you. I can give you a couple names to call for suppliers who can get you fish in Kona and pack them for you to ship home.....aloha Les

Where are the best places to snorkel in the Big Island in September? I saw a few words near the captain cook monument. I am an aquarium freak and just want to see them in their natural habitat. Yes, I have yellow tangs, koles, and more. Are any of the snorkeling tour boats really worth it? I have read some of the tour books, but the local know best. I have snorkelled Oahu before. Now I fortunate enought to spend a few days on Kona. Thanks in advance.

Or you could just work with some of the local collectors there... get the same things you would get online or at your LFS, and get to catch them yourself legally, and most likely have someone to ship for you when you get home. Actually might make for an interesting vacation memory to see it swimming/crawling around your tank

IF you don't have a tank with nothing but tank hatched (not just raised) sustainable things, dry collected self cured rock etc, you most likely have the same sort of things coming right off the beach/reef. We are not in an enviromentally friendly hobby any more than those of us who race cars.

Where are the best places to snorkel in the Big Island in September? I saw a few words near the captain cook monument. I am an aquarium freak and just want to see them in their natural habitat. Yes, I have yellow tangs, koles, and more. Are any of the snorkeling tour boats really worth it? I have read some of the tour books, but the local know best. I have snorkelled Oahu before. Now I fortunate enought to spend a few days on Kona. Thanks in advance.

Two step, just south of captain cook. It is right outside of Puʻuhonua O Hōnaunau National Historical Park AKA The City of Refuge. Plently of Tangs, coral, Turtles and if you are lucky, spinner dolphins.

The boats will get you to areas not easily reached by foot. So there will be less in the way of crowds. The Manta Dive/Snorkel is well worth the cost, see Jack's Diving locker in Kona, Awesome people!

Back