Tang Capacity in a 210

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I would try to go with fish close to the same size if possible. I can vouch for the convict. Great fish. Mine will actually protect new additions from aggressive fish. I have had no problems with tang aggression but my tank is larger. Personally I think I would not add them.
PS. Do not acknowledge that you are getting advice from Ron. It will hurt your rep.

Last edited:
Having multiple tangs in a tank is no problem. I have a 300 with 4 yellow and 1 yellow eye. I introduced 2 of those yellow tangs after the others. Never introduce one at a time, since inevitbly one will be killed by the other. And introduce the most aggressive and larger ones last. Even with these practicies. the current tangs will chase the new ones regardless of where they are in the tank. I also have a 150 right now with an orange shoulder and yellow. Usually only two tangs in a tank is a real problem as well. I was just lucky.

PS. Do not acknowledge that you are getting advice from Ron. It will hurt your rep.
it might, but it's better than taking advice from Magnum PI(Brenden):D :D :D :lol: :lol: are you still wearing Krish's favorite tight shorts???:badgrin:

Hmm....Well i'm gonna have to think this over and try and figure out how many and what size. When i first started this hobby i had a 75 and i ordered 2 blue hippo tangs from foster and smith. They faught constantly but i also did not know a fraction of what i know now. Like that a 75 is far too small for two tangs and that i had no hiding places for my fish. I think though that now i have enough room and enough knowledge to keep more than one blue tang in my tank. I think if i do do this i am going to go with 3 blue tangs total and the 2 that i am going to add are going to be relatively small. Not quarter size or anything but i don't want them to big. around 2" or so. As for my Convict tang i can't seem to find a LFS anywhere that carries them. I may have to order online which is a major thumbs down in my book. I think i'm gonna place an order with my LFS to special order me these fish.

are you still wearing Krish's favorite tight shorts???

ohh come on we all know the 2 of you keep a few of his tights around your home:shock: :lol: :lol: .

ok...i hope you find your convict tang :) i really like those tangs alot specially since you see blue hippos and yellow tangs around to much dood.

i really like those tangs alot specially since you see blue hippos and yellow tangs around to much dood
Blasphemy!!!!! you bite your tongue Gab!!!!!!:D
Nick, i bought a few of my hippo's from Liveaquaria....i think you have a better chance of getting healthy ones from an online source..most lfs' have parasites in their systems..also, i think Liveauaria has convict tangs

You know whats funny Ron is that i bought the Blue tang that i have now From Fosters and smith 7yrs ago this fall. I bought two but only one made it. I was thinking about that again but i like seeing what i'm getting and since i am going to QT the fish wether its from online or LFS i would rather support my LFS since he helps me a lot. But i did check online for a convict and even Fosters and Smith didn't have any.

the only reason i go with online sources is to avoid treatment as much as possible...i qt also, but don't have to treat most of the time with Liveaquaria...i think i have had to treat every single fish i have ever gotten from my lfs..it was just too much hassle for me

I hear you but my LFS has yet to sell me a bad fish not to say that it couldn't happen but like i said unless i absolutely had to i would much rather give my money to my LFS.

Blasphemy!!!!! you bite your tongue Gab!!!!!!

LOL!! you don't wanna know how many times :p:lol:.
i mean i like them don't take me wrong but theres something about convict tangs that makes me like them more :p.

I will know what my tank plans are by next week. If I go small on the new tank I will have a convict to get rid of. I have had him over 2 years and he is fat and happy. I may also have a regal, purple and yellow to get rid of?

Thanks for the info Ron! I'm gonna wait and see what my LFS brings in on Wensday. If he doesn't get any in then i will order one from them.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the info Ron! I'm gonna wait and see what my LFS brings in on Wensday. If he doesn't get any in then i will order one from them.

Thanks again!

don't forget to post pictures :D

Back