tang compatibility

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dieden

Exocoetidae
I was wondering if a tang of two different genus's could be held in the same tank.... I am looking at a blue powder for my girlfriend and was interested in a desjardins tang for me. would they be too incompatible?

It depends on the tank size. 100 gal, not likely, 300 gal perhaps, 450 probably. The order they are introduced, and what size are parts of it.
Footprint of tank is something to look at too. A cube is alot different than a show or tall shaped tank. Good luck, J

You could keep them together if you bought them small and introduced them at the same time. You would need a tank of 90 or more with swim room and grazing rock. Tangs eat alot so the more you have the better filtration you need =-)

Speaking in generalities, the Desjardini Tang, Zebrasoma desjardinii will grow very fast if provided with the proper nourishment. The Powder Blue Tang, Acanthurus leucosternon will grow slowly after it reaches about 4". Up to 4" it should grow at a medium rate, also assuming it is receiving the proper nourishment. These two fishes are not of the same Genus. They generally will get along.

Since the Desjardini will grow quickly and become surprising large in captive life, the two together will require a 300+ gallon aquarium.

If you prefer to keep the Powder Blue with a Powder Brown, for instance, the 180 would be okay for many years of their life (assuming they were acquired at or less than 3" in length.

My current 180 has 5 Tangs (and a Rabbitfish) in it!
Powder Blue
Powder Brown
Convict
Clown Tang (Acanthurus lineatus)
and the Pacific Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)

My current 300 has 4 Tangs and some Rabbitfish. One Tang is the Desjardini. It just plane needs much more swimming room. Acquired four years ago at about the size of golf ball, it is now the size of a small dinner plate and very thick. :)

These photos were taken quite some ago, but I think you 'get the picture' (no pun intended :D ): Lee’s Marine Systems.

Introducing them at the same time is the best approach. This is because, quite simply, the hobbyist cannot judge just what kind of personality each will have. The Desjardini is often a bully, but the same can be said of the Powder Blue. Introduced at the same time, they will take some time to figure out who's boss. This 'same time' effort is done by putting each through a quarantine process in separate tanks, at roughly the same time.

I have a 4 tangs
yellow
white faced
bristletooth
taminey (sorry for spelling)
in my 100g they do fine together and not all introduced at the same time the white faced tang is the boss though.

Mark, great list of tangs.

I have a juvi Tomini myself in my 72. The bristletooth tangs are best for smaller tanks (below 180) as they stay smaller and grow slower.
If large growing tangs are put in a smaller tank, be prepared to soon trade them to a larger tank.

In my 180, had a powder brown (replacement for a previous purple), hippo, yellow, dejardin plus a Navarcus angel, and all bought as 2-3 inch juvis.
Most grew to 4-5" within 18 months in a healthy coral packed reef.

By the time they were sold, all were quite ready for the bigger tank they went in. Some dear friends with a much bigger tank is their caretaker now.

I only have a four foot 75 gallon so I was expecting to have to export either fish pretty quickly due to size. My LFS can get the blue powder VERY small so I figured that would give me the most time with it before I have to give it to a larger home. That just made my decision for me. Thank all of ya'll for the help.

Powder blue tangs are one of my favorite fish but the Juviniles are not the hardiest of creatures. Make sure your tank is VERY mature with stabile water conditions. It will need to be quarantined as they carry marine ich. Be sure to feed it fresh greens and a lot of sheet algae (Marine Nori.) They will enjoy having a lot of live rock to nibble on and hide in or sleep in at night.

If the PB is really small, make sure you take extra care in the QT as the small tangs like that seem to be even more ick prone than normal.

IMO though, I wouldn't even bother with getting a fish that you know will out grow your tank. I have done it with two fish because of coral issues that they had, and I hated it because you get so attached. Why not get (like mike said) a bristle tooth and you can keep it for many years without having to worry about when the right time would be to get rid of it.

I love tangs, I just think it is easier on both you and the fish to place them in a(for the most part) permanent home.

Thanks and good luck to you :)

-augustus

BTW, in my 240gal I have:
6- yellow tangs (1-1.5")
2-blue tangs (had for about 4yrs 6")
1- convict tang (2-2.5")
1- Flame fin tomini (3-4")
1- Chevron tang (2-2.5")
All get along, just have to give them the proper care :D

Back