Tang maybe sick?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dustin1

I just got a yellow tang yesterday and its head seems like it is floating but it is just swimming at the topp and every once in a while it goes down for a second or two

Sounds bad, But tell use a little more about your tank. Water params, Size, acclimation process, ant noticeable spots or abnormalities on the fish.

ph 8.2 nitrate 0 nitite 0
I did floated the tang in the bag for 20 min then dumped half od the water out and replaced it with mine about 4 times

his head seems like it is floating???? i don't understand....if you mean he is just floating around and not swimming, that is not good..is he in your display tank or a qt tank???

How old is the setup? Is this a new tank? Any white spots on it? similar to salt specks.

If new what are the Ammonia and or Nitrite levels.

it is about 4 months old
amonia is 0 and there are no white spots it seems like he is getting better though

sounds like a case of stress
There is a website I goto that tells me about how long to acclimate a fish. Sounds like it didnt acclimate long enough.

i took him back to the fish store and returned him because he was a few minutes from death and found out my salanity was way to high what is the best waY TO lower it?

Lowering Salinity

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30998

By any chance are you replacing the evaporated water with salt water? You should be using fresh water if you are.

You could either do a small water change with a lower salinity mix or just replace some of your salt water with RO/Distilled water.

Take your time and lower it slowly so you don't stress out your current inhabitants. They are already acclimated to the high salinity levels.

I had the same problem myself because I was using a hydrometer that was way off. If you don't have a refractometer, they are inexpensive and are worth their price in gold. (Which happens to be $35 on ebay):)

Good Luck

Last edited:
ya a tad high. Bit by bit, over time take out a little salt water and add your RODI water.
Make sure your water change water is right on and top off system is in proper order.

ok i think i am going to try to get a refracto meterfor better readings in the future

Back