Tangs! need some expert opinions/exerience.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pip Tazo

Hello,

I know there are many people who love tangs out there. I hope you could help me answer these questions.

If I were to introduce an assortment of tanks into a large tank, what order would I introduce them? (least aggressive --> Semi-aggressive --> Aggressive?)

Which tangs are absolutely not compatible? or how big of a tank is needed to make two potentially incompatible tangs, compatible.

What size/age of the tang will give them the best chance of fitting in?

For multiples of the same species, how many of the same type of Tang is appropriate? (pairs? schools?)

any other tips on tang keeping is appreciated! thanks!

Last edited:
Yes, introduce an assortment of tangs least aggressive --> Semi-aggressive --> Aggressive giving the smaller milder ones time to establish territory. Start with a large tank, 6' long like a 180 or 120 min.

Start with purple, desjardini tang and flamefin or other bristletooth size. Hippos are easy but grow fast. Make sure each and every one is quarantined per the book as they are ich carriers.

As you gain more experience with a few, you can continue reading up on others. No need for a school, would take a MONSTER sized tank. Avoid aggressive feeders such as Sohol, they will cause you pain.

Last edited:
thanks!

I have a Hippo and a Tomini tang right now. My hippo tang gives me a heart attack every other day. I have had it over 5 years and always has something going on with it. but I love them.
I want to upgrade to a big tank eventually (~250 gallons), and would love to have more tangs.
I see you are in Mill Creek, I live pretty close to there, Thrasher's corner area.

I have a 75g and a 55g. The tangs are in the my 75g, I will be in dire need of a bigger tank for them. How about yourself?

I met Todd at OBD over the summer, I still haven't gotten a chance to visit him yet.

I have a few tangs in my 240. caribbean blue, orange shoulder, sailfin, scopas, and a vlamingi. Like herefishyfishy said, stay away from the vlamingi too. Mine is already getting to big for the 240. They grow really fast. Got him about a year ago at 3" and hes 8" long now. And they are pigs and produce a LOT of detritus. I think I have found him a bigger home already.
The blue or purple tangs seem to be more of an aggressive tang too. Getting them all young and on the smaller side, I would think would be better and introducing new ones the same size. You dont want a 6" tang in the tank and then try to introduce a real small one. the big one would more than likely beat up on the little one.

The two you have are probably some of the least aggressive tangs. They are good ones to start with.

Last edited:
Naso, Yellow and Kole tangs are also some of the milder temperment tangs. You should get a bigger tank before adding anymore. A 180 is a great size for a six foot tang friendly tank. 210's are pretty common too if you want one a little bit taller.

Have a Purple and a Tomini in a 180. Previous 180 has a Dejardin, a purple, and a hippo. All of these tangs were introduced as 2-3" fish. I also like angels. Have had other tangs in different tanks previously

I've had a lot of surgeon's through the years, and I think other than tank size, food competition is your next biggest thing for them to fight about. Of course the more you feed the larger the tank should be, so they both go hand in hand. I currently have a yellow, naso, blue, chevron, and tomini, in my 225. I have had all these for 5 years or longer, and none of them squabble. Try to find some nori in bulk and have it available as much as you can. These fish are natural grazers. Good luck

-Augustus

Yeah I buy nori/seaweed sheets in bulk. I feed a full 8x8 sheet every day. I usually feed green and red, but can not find red anywhere anymore.

hey Augustus. long time. hey the blue hippo tang i got from you is doing great. good to see you back on this site.

Yeah I buy nori/seaweed sheets in bulk. I feed a full 8x8 sheet every day. I usually feed green and red, but can not find red anywhere anymore.

hey i have been looking for a place to buy my nori in bulk. where do you get yours.

well i love tangs. they have great personalities. i have trained mine to eat out of my hands. a few of them will let me toutch them. i have 9 tangs in my 360 gallon tank. my clown tang is the king of the tank. i put him in last. he gets alittle pushy here and there but never hurts any of my other tangs.

I have a few tangs in my 240. caribbean blue, orange shoulder, sailfin, scopas, and a vlamingi. Like herefishyfishy said, stay away from the vlamingi too. Mine is already getting to big for the 240. They grow really fast. Got him about a year ago at 3" and hes 8" long now. And they are pigs and produce a LOT of detritus. I think I have found him a bigger home already.
The blue or purple tangs seem to be more of an aggressive tang too. Getting them all young and on the smaller side, I would think would be better and introducing new ones the same size. You dont want a 6" tang in the tank and then try to introduce a real small one. the big one would more than likely beat up on the little one.

The two you have are probably some of the least aggressive tangs. They are good ones to start with.

if you need a backup plan for that vlamingi let me know

I'll try to upload a video here in a bit, but I have a 300g with 3 tangs and 4 bannerfish. the sailfin thinks he's a banner fish and can always be found schooling with them. and the powder brown tang is never too far away and also schools with the group much of the time.

if you must add a smaller or more peaceful fish to an established tank you can do a major rearanging of rockwork just before the new addition to mess up their terratories and hopefully add a few new fish at the same time so they can share the stress of being picked on at first. usually they all end up getting along in the end...at least for the most part.

that was a quick upload, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk79lQimC_Q

The powder brown was originaly added to the yellow tang already established in his tank and the yellow tang chased him for weeks before giving up. months later the 3 tangs were combined and NONE of them seemed to even notice eahcother becasue all toll I add like 6 fish from one tank and 15 from another. this really mixed things up and spread out aggression.

Back