Tangs! need some expert opinions/exerience.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hello,

I know there are many people who love tangs out there. I hope you could help me answer these questions.

If I were to introduce an assortment of tanks into a large tank, what order would I introduce them? (least aggressive --> Semi-aggressive --> Aggressive?)

Which tangs are absolutely not compatible? or how big of a tank is needed to make two potentially incompatible tangs, compatible.

What size/age of the tang will give them the best chance of fitting in?

For multiples of the same species, how many of the same type of Tang is appropriate? (pairs? schools?)

any other tips on tang keeping is appreciated! thanks!

There are so many factors at work here... it's difficult to say what tangs definitely are and aren't compatible. In fact, I can't think of any tangs that aren't,except for maybe Sohal and Clown - but even then it's a matter of tank size and territory. What size tank are we talking about? Aquascape? Feeding schedule? What species in particular are you interested in?

In general, yes, you want to add smallest/least aggressive first. Let them get established, then add the more naturally dominant species. If you ever want to go back and add a more passive tang later on, an acclimation box is a great tool that you can use. In a 250g you won't be able to keep any "schools" of tangs, but you could get away with 3 or 5 yellow tangs if you want - though they likely won't swim together. Quarantine is an absolute must in keeping tangs, and be prepared to skim and do lots of water changes!

I feed my tangs half a sheet of nori a day. I get them from Ranch 99 (there's one in Renton and one near Lynnwood). They are available in 30-sheet packs for around $6-$7, if I remember right. Make sure you get the ones that just have seaweed, not the seasoned ones.

Back