Tank builders...HELP...acrylic vs plexiglass

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DaBrowns

Hopefully someone well versed in tank building will read this and help me out. I want to build a new sump and have a quanity of plexiglass at my disposal for very cheap or free. (family member) I want to know if plexi is in fact acceptable to build a tank with?? The dimensions I'm looking at are 60"(left to right) 17"(front to back) and 16"(bottom to top) There will actually only be 12" of water in it all the time, and 3 seperate chambers divided by a bubble trap on one side and a toothed divider on the other.

Many thanks for any help/insight:confused: :confused:

If you don't get any feedback soon, I'd check with Brian from IAP. He's a regular here and very helpful. Good luck!:)

Plexi if I'm not mistaken is a name more than a type. I think acrylic & plexi in general is one of the same but the classifications is what differs. You can get plexi-G, plexi GP (general Purpose) & a good bit more. Let me see if I can post to the different types & you can see what you have.

DaBrowns,

Yes, Plexiglass works fine. There are several types, true, but for a sump they shouldn't cause you any problems. I would however ensure that what I used for a sump with the dimentions you are talking about, was at least 3/8" thick. Even with the partitions you are talking about, I wouldn't want to build something only to have it bow on me later, and possiblly cause flooding problems.

I 2nd the advice of Krish, having you contact Brian from IAP. He is an active Reef Frontiers member, and always very helpful when it comes to information about working with various types of Acrylic for people here.

Good luck with your project... and don't forget to take pictures for us all to enjoy!!! :D

Tank builders...HELP...acrylic vs plexiglass

Plexi is acrylic. There are many brand names for acrylic ( Plexiglass, Polycast, Acrycast, Cryo, Lexan, ect.....) The grade of acrylic is the important part. YOU DO NOT WANT TO USE EXTRUDED ACRYLIC !!!!!!! It has different properties than cast including water absorbtion. In plexiglass it is labled MC on the paper. Plexi is twards the top end of quality ( Spartech Polycast is #1) it is very consistent in it's thickness.

As far as building the sump you can use 1/4 for the sump but you will have to brace the heck out of it and I would also recommend laying strips down all the seams as well. I would stay away from 1/8 (if it is left over from a light project) unless you want to build a frame to set it in. 3/8 would be much better.

Last edited:
thanks Brian - did you look @ the diagram? Does it look OK? This is my first attempt so I took basic plans I'd seen and added what i knew I wanted. If this stuff is old (ie - not having protective sheets still on) is there a way for me to tell the type??

Thanks again

Here is what i did. I didnt have the access to longer sheets than 4' (and i dont feel experienced enough to put a seem in) so instead, i made two sumps. One is a bubble trap, then that overflows into another sump containing my equipment and refugium.

(flows are marked in red)
100_0481.jpg

-augustus

DaBrowns- it is sort of hard to tell the difference without prior knowledge of working with acrylic. It has a very different smell when cutting it. Cast Plexi has a slightly sweet smell vs. extruded has a more bitter smell. There are also faint extrusion "marks" in the acrylic. As the sheet flows through the die it picks up markings similar to wood grain. They tend to flow in the direction of extrusion. It could also be polycarbonate. Polycarb is extremely flexible and is also not good for building tanks or sumps without some serious bracing and or a frame. If you want to be safe, assume it is extruded and overbuild the sump. Build it with solvent cement like weld-on 4 and then get some weld-on 40 and lay a bead around every seam and joint (like caulking a bath tub).

No I did not see a diagram or drawing of your sump idea.

balogh03 looks good. The only draw back I have found to doing sumps that way is they evaporate a lot more water and you will have a lot more salt creep. (depending on the water drop between sumps, less drop, less problems )

doing sumps that way is they evaporate a lot more water

Not going to argue with that....5 gallons a day is a little too much for me. But, i havent had any problems with salt creep yet:D

-augustus

I would say that plexi glass is the same thing as acrylic it is just the brand name..

That looks Great Augustus. good job!

I will be attempting to build a couple sump/ refugiums soon I will post pictures when I get to it..

Matt

Here is what i did. I didnt have the access to longer sheets than 4' (and i dont feel experienced enough to put a seem in) so instead, i made two sumps. One is a bubble trap, then that overflows into another sump containing my equipment and refugium.

(flows are marked in red)
100_0481.jpg

-augustus

when you say one sump into another sump. how did you get the flow into the second one. Did you use a powerhead or conect them somehow? im in prossese of needing a second sump my first is a wet dry filter with not much room to put my new skimmer. without creating alot of bubles. sorry to bust into your thread, but figured i would just ask. thanks any help would be app.

Here is a close up of the overflow. I just made the one on the right shorter than the one on the left so it just flows over:)

100_04812.jpg

-augustus

Thanks matt! It looks alot better now, that pic was taken when i first set it up...i just havent taken a new picture:lol:

Back