tank costs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

flyover999

Hello. Been lurking for a few days, getting some ideas and absorbing all the information I can--and it's been an eye-opener. I last kept a reef tank in the late eighties-- back when wet/dry and bio-balls were all the rage. :)

Now I'm looking to begin a tank in my new home with the idea of setting it up as a see-through between the wall separating the kitchen and dining room. The size would run 60x30x 24 (or maybe 30) tall. Any idea on a ball-park figure I should be looking at for a tank of this size?

WELCOME TO REEF FRONTIERS!

IF you're in the Seattle area, get a hold of an IAP rep if your looking for a price on a custom Acrylic tank. The tank would be one thing, the rest ........... $$$$$:eek::eek::eek::D

Thanks acrodesiac, but as my nick implies, I'm landlocked. St. louis area. Yes, I remember. However it does look as though there is a trend toward simplifying things, which I'm all for.

Depending on what type of corals, if any, you want to keep. A 180 gallon tank can cost from 2 to over 10 thousand dollars to set up.

Last edited:
Thanks Trido, but I was referring just to the tank itself, as I've never ordered a custom before.

Have you ever been up to Planet Reef? Curt is a member on this site and has some great stuff.

Welcome to RF Flyover999, building a tank with three viewable sides Will require some though & planning, I would take my time before buying, spend time upfront in the design portion & see what others have done in the past. Depending if your wanting a fish only or reef will also make things different.

I just got a quote for a custom built 48x24x 30 high with 3/4 inch acrylic for near 1300, the 60x24x30 high was 1500. A 30 inch high tank look awesome but requires thicker acrylic and is harder to maintenance on.

If you're planning on doing DSB 3"-6" that kind of soaks up some of the depth. I used to have a 220G that was ~29" high with a ~4" sand bed, I am 6' tall and it was no problem getting to the bottom of the tank. BTW "walk arounds" are awesome!:D

Glasscages has a 150 high for $500 which is 48x24x30 high and the ship here to st. louis. I don't know how great the tanks are though.

I just got a quote for a custom built 48x24x 30 high with 3/4 inch acrylic for near 1300, the 60x24x30 high was 1500. A 30 inch high tank look awesome but requires thicker acrylic and is harder to maintenance on.

A custom acrylic aquarium the size you mention would be between $1,200 and $2,000 not including the stand or any equipment. A custom glass tank I don't know about. Elos is definitely the high end, maybe $5k. I don't know about Glass Cages.

Your whole budget including equipment, tank, stand, should be about $10K I would think. Not including carpentry work.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is IAP rep I'm looking for a 120 reef tank and I live in the Seattle area

Glasscages has a 150 high for $500 which is 48x24x30 high and the ship here to st. louis. I don't know how great the tanks are though.

If your looking for a nice tank and stand together planet reef does have a 150 tank that has a really sweet stand and canopy they are selling for cost.... i think its 1650.00

My acrylic tank is very similar to the dimensions you are looking for: 60Lx22Wx30T (around 170 gal) and it was around $640.

Back