Tank cycling

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mtpvteye

I have a brand (5 weeks) new tank (40 breeder) and am having trouble getting it to "cycle". I have 40 lbs live rock all live sand. 150 metal halide and 2x50/50's. An awsome protien skimmer, 2 cromis and 2 damsels. And some what i would consider base rock. ( a friend gave it to me from a tank with no lighting or heat. It was live rock before) i have a peice of pulsing zenia (happy plant) an tiny rabbits ear piece (very happy) 2 little zoo's (happy) and some sort of daisy thing (happy) So im waiting for it to "cycle". NOT HAPPENING!! over feeding fish too. not by a ton but just a little. Am i being imaptient? I have 6 goldfish aquariums and beleive me i never went through this. I intent for this to be a reef aquarium amd dont want my live rock to die off. do i need to get some boizyme to get it "cycled"? water perameters perfect. oh adding iodine and purple up a couple times.

What are the water parameters of your tank? It's a bit confusing that you say your water paramaters are perfect but that the tank is not cycling. Have you not measured any ammonia or nitrite spikes in the five weeks the tank has been up and running?

If your tank hasn't cycled and you have livestock in there you should be seeing Ammonia and Nitrite build up.

I've read mixed reviews on additives that help accelerate cycling aquariums, most of the reviews are that they don't really help.

It may have already cycled and you can stop adding iodine and that purple up. Purple up is garbage.

Don

What are the water parameters of your tank? It's a bit confusing that you say your water paramaters are perfect but that the tank is not cycling. Have you not measured any ammonia or nitrite spikes in the five weeks the tank has been up and running?

If your tank hasn't cycled and you have livestock in there you should be seeing Ammonia and Nitrite build up.

I've read mixed reviews on additives that help accelerate cycling aquariums, most of the reviews are that they don't really help.

dont understand the "live rock" theroy i guess. i am told it takes care of amonia. welllll then if thats the case i would say my bio load is minimal at best and i wont get a spike unless i make it spike. i want some blennies (later) and will be putting a refugium on but not if im setting myself up for problems. will be adding more rock too. i want to start getting anemones and a clown fish or two but this stuff is too expensive to watch die. what i have in there except for the mushroom rock was given to me. i feel like im cycled. just maybe not "matured"

Time to do some reading and research. The water chemistry portion of the hobby is one of the most important parts.

Don

Time to do some reading and research. The water chemistry portion of the hobby is one of the most important parts.

Don

omg! LOL!! I AM A PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR so that is what i have been doing. INVESTIGETING! i am so busy besides working. anyway. trial and error i thing is what i have to resort to now. ill just go SUPER slow at adding stuff. thanks alot for your reply.

If you don't get a understanding of water chemistry and how it works this will become a most unenjoyable money grubbing hobby.

Don

If you started with good live rock and sand that came from an established tank you may not see much of a spike and it may have cycled quickly. You are correct, live rock will convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. So if your tank is cycled you won't see build up of ammonia and nitrite.

Your tank will cycle to equilibrium, meaning you have enough bacteria to handle the bio load currently in your tank. If you think this is where your tank is at you can slowly start adding more livestock and the bacteria count will expand to handle the increased bio load and you shouldn't see a rise in ammonia or nitrite.

if you started with good live rock and sand that came from an established tank you may not see much of a spike and it may have cycled quickly. You are correct, live rock will convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. So if your tank is cycled you won't see build up of ammonia and nitrite.

Your tank will cycle to equilibrium, meaning you have enough bacteria to handle the bio load currently in your tank. If you think this is where your tank is at you can slowly start adding more livestock and the bacteria count will expand to handle the increased bio load and you shouldn't see a rise in ammonia or nitrite.

this is what my gut has been tellng me especially since i already have so many aquariums but i am still going to take it slow. Have my eye on an hammerhead coral :) and i want a clown fish! Nervous still though this stuff is expensive!! Btw: What test kits do i really need for a reef tank can you tell me? And thanks!

Ammonia, nitites, nitrates, calcium, alk, and Mg. Forget everthing you thought you knew about freshwater aquariums very little if any applies to reefkeeping.

Don

I monitor Temp, Nitrate, Salinity, pH, Calcuim, Alkalinity & Phosphates regularly. (Elevated phosphates may also be causing the algae problem you report in your other thread.)

I test Ammonia and Nitrite on ocassion just to make sure my biological filtration is keeping up.

i monitor temp, nitrate, salinity, ph, calcuim, alkalinity & phosphates regularly. (elevated phosphates may also be causing the algae problem you report in your other thread.)

i test ammonia and nitrite on ocassion just to make sure my biological filtration is keeping up.

i need to get a couple of tests then. Im having trouble uploading photos to the thread. Sigh

Have you been to the site wet web media.com? It's a really good site with lots of info, and I know it helped me alot when I was first getting into reefing. Heck, it still helps me now, a year and a half later!!

You also might look into getting a book or two, maybe Bob Fenner Conscientous marine aquarist?

Back