Tank drains

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

scuttlebut

Just purchased a 90 gal tank which does not have internal overflows nor is it drilled. I really don't want overflows hanging off the back and would like to get it drilled but unsure of exactly what I need. Can not drill the bottom as it is tempered glass so that only leaves the back of the tank. What size, how many drains/returns, and where do I place them.

I guess it all depends on how much flow you want passing through your sump or atleast, how much flow you want the overflow to be able to handle. If I remember correctly, a 1 inch bulkhead/plumbing should be good for about 800 gph or so. So if it were me, if I were doing one single overflow, I'd go with about 1.25 in plumbing. That way the plumbing wouldn't be too bulky, but still be able to handle a decent amount of flow. If I were going with 2 seperate overflows or drains, I'd just go with (2) 1 inch. Just a few personal thoughts. I guess the others will chime in soon as well :)

In actual practice, an 1-1/4 bulkhead will max out at around 500gph.

For a 90-gal, I would use two overflow bulkheads (in the upper-back corners) sized at least 1-1/4" each. Put slotted overflow boxes around each, or better yet a coast-to-coast overflow.

Back