Tank drilling question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i haven't even thought about the heat....do mag pumps produce alot of heat?????????

ronj said:
i haven't even thought about the heat....do mag pumps produce alot of heat?????????

with the mag18 you will have a lot of heat and noise as i said before this was the reason that i decide to stay with the mag 12 .

ronj said:

more then that you will need more circulation in the tank and you will need to go with close loop or to add PH , and if you will add more item with more pump in the future the total heat will be high

Yes Mag pumps produce heat, alot of it. They have decent head preasure. That's way alot of people use them. I find mine very noisey too. Although a Mag 12 is alot more quiet than a Mag 18.

My High Opinion. For your tank size. you don't and never will need a drain bigger than 1 1/2". I know people want to save money and try to get as much flow from there sump as they can, but, wouldn't it be better to keep the flow through down so your skimmer can cycle through more of the water going through the sump? I would personally go with 900-1500gph for return and get some power heads to make up the diffrence. Just my 2 cents.

If it is a Mega Flow overflow that All-glass uses. then I would think about putting Durso's in to control your water level.

Ronj...I personally wouldn't want to run a mag18 on that setup. 1200 gph is maximum for that tank (600 gph per overflow) so I'd kinda worry about being too close to somethings limit. Yeah, with the mag18 you could back off on it a bit by adding a longer hose or putting a valve on it, but for me personally, I wouldn't want to push the thing to it's limit. Just a though and a personal opinion though. Either way, it would work:)

About the heat, mag drives have been known to produce a bit of heat. I've personally never had any real issues to talk about. Then again, I've never run anything more than a mag950 continuously. I've only tested out a mag24 for a few minutes and my friend had a mag18.

first of all, what is a durso??? it is a mega flow system.....also, my mag12 is noisy enough...i wouldn't want anything noisier than that, but it is also being ran externally...internally, it might be more quiet

Internally without a bunch of air trapped in the lines will be tons quiter:p Also, if you have the pump sitting "free" from being pressed hard against something to cause vibration helps a lot! As for a durso, it is a type of standpipe that I have never used:p Here's a link:) http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

if i used a durso standpipe,where would i put my poly pad...my lfs wraps their standpipe ,that has holes all in it, with the poly pad....also, is this the only filtration device i will need in the sump??

Krish covered the durso part. Because the Mega Flow overflow has slits in the overflow in the top and bottom you need some sort of stand pipe to control the water level. A Durso will reduce the water drainage noise down to almost NIL. It just dampens the noise alot.

Not sure what you mean about a poly pad? If you are thinking of some sort of filter pad. Then you can use it between your baffles in the sump. Just be ready to change that alot.

yes, polypad....i have been reading something about the durso standpipes...are they pretty easy to install?

Very easy. No gluing at all :)

You just need to cut the stand pipe the height you want the water to be at. Add the "T" cut 2 small pieces so you can add the 90 Elbow and the cap and drill a hole in the top of the cap. The hole Must be center to work best, but not to important.

About the poly pad...Bummer:p I personally hate any sponge, pad whatever! The act as biological filters and if not changed or cleaned every other day or so, they degrade water quality so I toss them all. Not even any of my pumps use the pre-filter sponge! I rather just let my skimmer do the work along with good husbandry and clean my pumps a little more often than a person would who used a prefilter sponge. My tank has never been better since getting rid of those things(LOL) But if you wanted to use some sort of prefilter sponge or poly filter pad, there is nothing at all wrong with it at all. It is a good thing if you can keep up with maintaining a clean pad. I don't see much poly filter pads being used on sumps that aren't setup as a trickle filter these days though. Most of the time you see them being used on the top of a drip tray leading to the bio-balls. As for those not using a wet/dry, you'll see them using filter socks instead and rotate them daily or every other day. A filter sock IMO, is the easiest one to use because you can just stick it over your intake tube coming from your overflow and call it a day or buy the filter sock holder:)

Last edited:
what did you use for filtration when you had a sump??? i understand bioballs are "nitrate Factories"...i don't want to use those..

I use/d live rock for my filtration as well as my skimmer and weekly water changes. I can't tell you who uses bio-balls these days except for those who have fish only systems. All the biological filtration and denitrification you will ever need will come from your live rock and sand beds for those that use them:)

For the record, here's a picture of my current "filtration" or sump on my new cube. The rest like I said, comes from my live rock and my weekly water changes:)

On my 125 I have one hole for the drain, it is 2 1/2" for one 1 1/2" bulkhead, my overflow is a coast to coast so it can handle way more than most pumps, you really don't need high flow through a sump, actually you probably want a slower flow. I'll be drilling a hole for a 1" BH in the side of my 58g sump when I get it & use an external pump, IMO less heat, better flow options, less to keep clean also. On a 150G tank, I would set up for two 1" drains or 1 1/4" even better, the pipe I.D. is large enough it should not have any plug up problems & small fish fit through them rather easily, oh it can happen. I had my regal (Hippo) stuck in there all day and somehow lived, in my 100g tank with a single 1" drain. If you have small overflows use the stockman design, easier to make & adjust, water should be almost completely silent if done right in the standpipe.

how do i get a slower flow through the sump and then have a powerful return???

how do i get a slower flow through the sump and then have a powerful return???

ROFL!!! You go to bed and dream it could happen:lol: There's no way to do it man...Remember, whatever is pumped into the tank (gph) will be what is returned to the sump (gph) So, you'd have to run a smaller pump for your return (if your wanted slow flow through your sump) and then make up for the flow in your tank, somewhere else like with a closed loop or powerheads. I personally never looked at my return flow from my sump as a source of great flow for the tank. I relied on everything else. I figure a sump was there to do it's job and I didn't like the idea of high flow rates running through it (just as Scooty suggested). But one thing I did do on my 75gal to make the most out of my sump return at only about 750gph, was pop a sea-swirl on my return coming from my sump. That added great random flow to the tank! It worked wonders because I had my Tunzes blowing like mad, and then the flow from the sea-swirl would intercept them every few seconds giving me all kinds of turbulance in the tank:)

Back