Tank Idea

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

csababubbles

I don't know if this has been designed already but I have a real simple design for a reef tank that I dreamed up last night.

Tank would still have an overflow with teeth near the top that draws in surface water. But instead of draining out the bottom to the sump below, there would be no holes on the bottom of the tank. The skimmer would sit directly in the overflow chamber and the output of the skimmer would be returned back to the tank via piping along the bottom portion of the tank.

This would be very much like a regular non-reef ready tank with an in-tank skimmer, but a few things would be better about it. You can't see the skimmer because it would be hidden in the overflow. The skimmer would have the benefit of having the dirtiest water from the tank fed into it via the overflow teeth at the water surface (very much like a skimmer being gravity fed raw overflow water). Also, you can hide the heater and ATO sensor in the overflow as well and whatever probes you may need. This design would eliminate the need for a separate sump, a return pump, potential floods, etc.

Wait, this is stupid. As I was re-reading this, it seems that just about every nano tank is like this. This is not an original idea at all. Well maybe a little different but still not worth discussing. But I wrote so much that it seems so wasteful to erase it all. So now you read it and wasted your time. Well, next time you'll know to stay away from my threads that seem like a great idea in the beginning but eventually turn out to be duds.

As I was re-reading this, it seems that just about every nano tank is like this. This is not an original idea at all. Well maybe a little different but still not worth discussing. But I wrote so much that it seems so wasteful to erase it all. So now you read it and wasted your time. Well, next time you'll know to stay away from my threads that seem like a great idea in the beginning but eventually turn out to be duds.

I was kind of coming to the same conclusion as i was reading this lol. As far as using this design on a large reef system i would think that the lack of space, water volume, accessability, room for a fuge, various reactors etc. would kinda make this impractical.

yea yea yea it was a dumb idea! lol

but if your running a real simple tank, dont have the room for a sump/fuge, need for reactors, etc then it would seem to be a real streamlined filtration system instead of having a skimmer directly in the viewable portion of the tank.

Back