tank in garage ok?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

davidl

hey everyone, I moved up here to Seattle (carnation actually) from Los angeles. anyhow given the temperature difference, would it be a problem to set up a tank in a garage? I was worried it would get too cold (snowed a bit this winter) or will the water heater pretty much take care of those fears? I have a 46 bow and a 55 gallaon tank both glass.

thanks

welcome to RF !! if i haven't said that to you yet :) .
hmm i'm not an expert on that but i think it's ok to have it in the garage as long as you have a good heater for the winter :p .

I'm sure someone will tell you a little bit more :) .

Welcome to RF!!!:)
I know there are others that have tanks in the garage with no problems. You will have to watch your temp very closely and use a good, strong heater. How well is your garage insulated? It may also get too warm in the summer, do you have a chiller? Part of the problem you will face is the size of your tanks 55 gallons can fluctuate a lot easier than say, 500 gallons. I think it is possible, but may not be very easy. We will have to see what other people think.

Tim

Sure you can David. What I do is place my sump up on a 1" thick foam board during the cold months and remove it during the warmer months. If you don't have a sump and the tank is off the floor you will be fine. Redundancy with heaters is always a good thing too.

Welcome to RF! If you lived where I do, I'd say don't do it unless you have a chiller or ac in your garage:p, but up there, I don't see why not if you have a heater...:)

Welcome to RF! If you lived where I do, I'd say don't do it unless you have a chiller or ac in your garage, but up there, I don't see why not if you have a heater...

yeah i think over there it'd be more like making a fish soup than having a fish tank :p .

krish75 said:
Welcome to RF! If you lived where I do, I'd say don't do it unless you have a chiller or ac in your garage:p, but up there, I don't see why not if you have a heater...:)
Krish, I'll trade you homes for two weeks this December. "Wind chill factor" , is pure fiction I tell ya. I would love to sit on the beach x-mas eve in my white speedo and an 80's muscle shirt listening to King Diamond's "No Presents for Christmas" sipping off a pint bottle of Wilde's Irish Rose.....

MT hit it on the head, I would look to see if your garage (your home away from home when you pitts off your significant other) is insulated. That would help out a lot to keep the ambient temps from fluxing too much. Oh yeah, welcome aboard. Mike.

Last edited:
Krish, I'll trade you homes for two weeks this December. "Wind chill factor" , is pure fiction I tell ya. I would love to sit on the beach x-mas eve in my white speedo and an 80's muscle shirt listening to King Diamond's "No Presents for Christmas" sipping off a pint bottle of Wilde's Irish Rose.....

LOL...I don't know about trading, but you are welcomed to come down and hang anytime. I'll make sure you guys have a blast:)

LOL...I don't know about trading, but you are welcomed to come down and hang anytime. I'll make sure you guys have a blast

MikeS says that he's taking Nikki and me to the Bahamas so you better have room for all of us :lol: :lol:

Hey David welcome to RF I live up in S. Everett just north of you and my 150 sps tank is in my garage and it has done fine. The problems I have is that I run three 250 hqi halides and two large pumps. I use to use fans to keep it cool when I had 2 MH, but now that I have 3 I have had to switch to a chiller. Godd Luck

Chris

just be sure to have gas and other liquids sealed if stored in the garage. fumes from chemicals can easily get in the tank water. you could insulate the bottom and three sides to maintain temp.

I run tanks in the garage at my house in Michigan, Talk about extreme!!! Well I did was run a Heater/chiller on my tanks, you can buy them that do both and maintains the water at constant temp , Snow or heat.. They are pricey but to prevent worries they are good option.

Nah Gaby, Its actually quite cool.:) Pun there. But really it all depends on certain things. Water volume and Insulation. MY tanks are situated on the wall of the house and there is some radiant heat coming in but not anything like required. A heater/chiller does a fine. job. I dont run it in the fall or spring. But summer and Winter it runs 24/7. I think if your willing to pay up front for something then go for it. My new tank Iam buildinbg is going to have the sump in the garage I think. Iam still debating. But so far its looking like it is. I love it that way.

Back