tank installation - best way to set and level on wood floors

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
I am finally setting uyp my 100 gallon upstairs. Any input on the best way to level the tank? And should I put something down over hte wood, in case an overflow or something. Or set it up higher to allow the water to dry? Do you use wood shims?

thanks so much!

Travis

I would also go as far as checking the load rating for your upstairs space. I know that saltwater runs probably around 8.5 lbs. So you are looking at a dead weight of around 775 lbs (less water with live rock) with water column, and depending on how much live rock, equipment and so on you may be up and around 900 lbs on a 48" surface area. Not saying that people don't do it, but to be safe if possible verify the structural integrity of you runners and your subfloor.

I would go as far as building a tile base to put under the stand extending out about a 6-12" on all sides of the tank to give yourself a place for water to collect when you spill it.... I've found that no matter how fast you clean up any spills, the repetitive little bit spilled here and there will eventually seep in between the wood and start it bubbling - especially if you have cheapo laminate wood floors.

I will reinforce the floor, although I feel that being in a corner along 2 load bearing walls it will be fine. As for the tiles on the floor, if time and money was not a factor I would love to do this, but this would delay this setup by maybe 1 year. So for now I am hoping to find some small, adjustable feet that are very heavy duty to support the weight and provide an airspace under the stand.

thanks for input,

Travis

I used wood shims for my 90G to level everything out. I kept my 65G on wood floors for years without any adjustable feet or anything (wood stand straight onto flooring) and I never had any issues with water damage once I moved the tank for the 90G to go in (I had some good spills as well). You should be just fine.

Wood shims sounds like a better option than adjustable feet. It would be better to have the entire bottom periphery of the stand making contact with the floor. That way the weight is spread around the entire periphery and not concentrated on the adjustable feet, which could potentially damage your floor.

Kinda reminds me of stories about plus-sized women in high heals punching holes in the floor panels of commercial airliners. Yeah, I work for Boeing.

Gary

Hey Travis,
It should be fine, think of what a waterbed weighs...Just elevate the sump on the inside so you can mop up or run a fan.. You'll have a great set up, are you leaving everything else in the basement? And just running a loop to the tank? You could put down a rubber mat, and cut it bigger than the frame if your really concerned but the floor although the finish it has will protect it without abrasion.

Looking forward to seeing the final result.. Let me know if you want some help ;)

Ray

Yes, I am leaving everything in the basement (5 tanks) so I won't even have a sump under this tank, it will be downstairs. With 2 refigiums I hope to provide plenty of natural filtration/waste removal. Currently I am removing about a basketball size clump of cheato weekly. I have lots if you want some. and thanks for your offer of help....

Do you have any frags you would like to trade?

Hey Travis,
It should be fine, think of what a waterbed weighs...Just elevate the sump on the inside so you can mop up or run a fan.. You'll have a great set up, are you leaving everything else in the basement? And just running a loop to the tank? You could put down a rubber mat, and cut it bigger than the frame if your really concerned but the floor although the finish it has will protect it without abrasion.

Looking forward to seeing the final result.. Let me know if you want some help ;)

Ray

unless it rocks.... and is rally bad.. i would check it out by just puting it on the floor..

see how bad it really is first..

i wouldnt want to twist the stand or cause any unnecessary stress

I didn't do this for my 75 gal saltwater setup but more recently I followed some old advice while setting up a 100gal (though only halfway full) aquatic turtle tank.

I got high density rigid insulation about 1.5" thick from home depot. Spraypainted it black, let it dry and put this under the aquarium stand. Supposedly this will level the aquarium itself, which it did. I was skeptical too but it worked...

j

I think I heard somewhere about the rigid insulation idea too. Glad to hear it does work. :)

Alex

Back