Tank Question/Help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

olsenshouse

What might I need to make sure my tank stays successful? Here's what I have.

55 gallon tank
60lbs Live Rock
1 Powder Brown Tang
2 Pecula Clowns
1 Six Line Wrasse
3 Domino Damsels
2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Arrow Crab
1 Emerald Crab
2 Porcelain Crabs
1 Bristle Starfish
1 Sand Sifting Starfish
10 Variety of Snails
15 Hermit Crabs

Getting a new Skimmer and Filter this week. Not sure what kind but bigger. What else might I need or am I over stocked?

Last edited:
You didn't say anything about your tank size and current equipment.

Thats a lot of fish, didn't you just start up? Take is slow...

Powder brown is most likely going to be stressed and die in a 55 gallon tank. They need 6' plus for their swimming habits.

I'd also be worried about a sand sifting starfish in a new 55 gallon tank. They are notorious for starving, and you're putting it in pretty harsh conditions.

Take is slow and just wait a bit, thats my advice. If you want to add stuff, go for corals

jrgilles - tank is on it's 3rd month. All levels are normal and all fish seem happy. I'm done putting anything in except a few more snails.

How big of sump do you have? I would say be sure to have a good ro/di filter. Overkill on the skimmer wont hurt. A fuge wouldn't hurt and it's a great place for pods to breed. Do you plan to have any lps or sps? this will determine what your lighting needs will be. Your tang will quickly outgrow your tank, but by then you'll both need a larger tank :)

one comment and one suggestion:

comment: I hope the Tang is eventually going to a bigger tank, as the 55g is too small for it..

suggestion: get a good skimmer if you plan on keeping the tang in this tank..also, patience, patience, and MORE patience.

It has taken me over 1 year to stock my 375g tank with 15 fish...I plan on adding 2 more fish in the next 3-6 months...Everyone is getting along and haven't lost a fish yet.

so..patience, mein freund....
:)

Save up for a swc skimmer. Make sure you have a sump/fuge. Media reactors help alot.
Keep your water changes regular. Dont over feed. anddd keep your chemistry on point.

Back