tank restructure

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

burning2nd

Im after the last few hours... on a roll.

Ok so if i havetnt updated my stuff in a while ill brake it down real quick.

Mixed 30 running flawless for 5 years.. false clown hosted GtLa, very happy under 2x150, Ato sump controller.

2nd yonger tank. (under maintained) 75gmain/45gsump useing old 30g t5 lighting doing very well.....

Im on the edge of loosening my marron clown in the 75 that ive neglected, the 30 is on Auto pilot, and while Ive thought of this post for a few hours now.. Im really looking for some back up.. I need to brake the 30 down, witch is infected with Bryopsis (after many year fighting still), move nemo to his new larger tank with his anemone and brake the 30 down...

for moral support peoeples... this is gonna be hard, Ive bin thinking of this for a really long time.. i know i need to do it.. for efficiency and cause the killer Bryopsis is unstoppable...

Bryopsis aside and that.. I need to figure out how to detach a anemone from a rock cleanly so that i can acclimate

everything else has bin fraged and colonized.

Getting an anemone off a rock can be tricky. Your best bet may be to make it angry by directing a powerhead in its general direction. If you tick it off enough it will detach without you have to touch it and risk injuring it. Just be sure that you watch closely so that you can grab it when it detaches. Either that or carefully shield your powerheads so that it doesn't get ingested.

Mike

Good deal, ill do some work on the 75 and get tht ready then ill frag some lil stuff anf try to get tht nem outta there

When my anemone has split, I've been able to detach the new one by using a piece of soft airline attached to a small air pump. Cut the end of the airline at an angle so it has a bit of a 'V' shape with a soft point. Then work the end of the airline around the edge of the foot witht he pump on. Seems to take me about 10 min each time I have done this to detach them and no damge to the foot occurs. have patience and be gentle and it should work like a charm.

What I have always found to work for me is rubber gloves. They dont like the feeling of the rubber I guess. And will let go after rubbing its foot with the glove on.

Someone posted this in another forum and it's too good not to pass along. This person recommended freezing some RODI in an ice tray and then rubbing the frozen cubes on the foot of the anem. It annoys the beast so that it detaches pretty quickly. One major benefit to this method is that you're there at the tank when it detaches so you can grab it before it has time to drift into an overflow or powerhead and be injured or killed. If you're still looking for a solution I'd give this a shot.

Mike

Back