tank set up

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

conduit7

Purchased used 90 gal system. Old owner had rio 2100 uv pump, chiller eheim 1250 pump, return mag 9.5 pump. Sump has a refugium that returns water to return side.Uv sterilizer on return side closer to bulkhead. He ran uv sterlizer line and chiller line back into sump. Need ideas on how to plumb this tank Thanks

What size UV and what size chiller? That will help because the water flow threw these devices needs to be in a certain range. Too much and its useless and not enough and it’s a waste. If the UV and chiller are properly sized for the tank you can run the in series but if not you will have to waste water back to the sump before returning to the tank. For example a 36 watt UV will need in the range of 300 to 500 range to be useful in an aquarium. More then 500 gph will be unless and not do anything, under 300 will start just heating the water with out doing much more. Chillers also work the same way. Not enough water and it will shut off too soon and too much water and it cant transfer heat adequately out of the water.

It sounds like you have some good equipment to start with. Is there a reason you do not want to hook it back up the way the previous owner had it?

Do you even need the chiller and UV? They are not required, I dont run them and know a lot of people dont.

No you don’t.
Its just another one of those things like a skimmer and heater and lights and reactors that you can use to fix a problem created by being in a closed loop system.

I personally don’t need a chiller but I thing my UV is just as important as a good skimmer and using carbon.

Thanks for your input, will run chiller same as he had it from one side of sump to the other only used when needed. Chiller is large via aqua polar bear chiller minimum water flow 100 gph maximum water flow 400 gph. Uv is rated for 125 gal tank. 18 w turbo twist. Should I run it on own pump rio 2100 or conect to return pump 9.5 return to tank. Thanks Carol

Okay so you know what is required by the chiller. The Rio 2100 at almost 700 gph pump is way to much water flow for that saltwater aquarium UV to be affective. You will want to dump 400-500 gph from that pump back into the sump and use the remainder of the flow threw the UV. Better would be to just get a small maxi jet pump rated for 200-250 gph and feed the UV with that. It will use a heck of a lot less power.

Or what you could due is use the Rio 2100 with a splitter and valve on the UV side to divert most of the water threw the Chiller and call it a day. You will get your required water flow for the chiller and UV. This will free up your 9.5 to pump water directly back into your tank at 950 gph minus head pressure. The eheim 1250 could be put on the shelf and or used for something else freeing up space or a plug and reducing heat.

The eheim at 317 gph is a good size for the chiller and UV if you put them in series with each other. Run the water from the pump to the UV then into the chiller. You water flow will probably be in the 200-250 gph range because of backpressure but sill in specks for the chiller and it gets the water flow down in the UV where it really needs to be to be effective in a saltwater tank. Put the Rio 2100 on the shelf and or use it for something else and use the 9.5 return to the tank. Done and done. This is probably the direction I would go given the equipment you have listed.

Back