Tank setup question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Beckmola24

Hawkfish
I have a 37 high that I want to set up for some seahorses. I am going to add the water from my 20g to the tank, and add new saltwater for the rest of the water.... I have a really good live sand bed and live rock chuck full of life. Do you think it will cycle very much??? I'm worried about that.... Should I maybe cycle it with fresh saltwater??? Opinions???

I figure if you are using aged tank water as well as rocks and sand from your established tank (if that is where they'll come from) then you shouldn't have really much die off or cycling to go through. You'd have a headstart IMO.:)

So u think the cycle would be pretty minimal?? I really don't have anywhere to go with my fish while I set this up and I don't want a cycle because I have 2 sensitive reef critters. An orange mottled starfish (that I've had almost a year now) and a scarlet cleaner shrimp (who is also a year old)... Any more ideas on this???

I think the cycle should be minimal if the rock comes from an established tank with aged tank water. I don't really see why not, but then again, I'm not always right(LOL) Hopefully someone else will chime in:)

Well, if you are using rock from an established tank, and an established sand bed, what will be there to cycle? There should be no die off except from the minute or so it maybe out of the water but that won't be detectable by anything.

You should be ok, just keep the feedings light, and the bioload light.
There is alot of stuff that lives on the glass, and if your using new filters and skimmer it will take a little while to get them up and operating at total.
I just took the fish out of my room the other day, and put two black tank raised baby seahorses in myself. They are super cool. Slow moving critters though, after watching a small huma huma, a tomato clown, and two damsels.

Well, I guess what I was worried about is the beneficial bacteria, but as Steve mentioned, I'll just keep the bioload and feedings light. I'm not worried about die off, but the fact that there will be more water and a little more sand for the bacteria to populate. I will be adding a few more pieces of dry rock and some more sand, but the sand will be aragalive...

Back