tank setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mavgi

i will get the tank next 2 day and before that i want to know what you suggest : to run bare bottom or dsb.

and if bare bootom what will be better to put on the glass : egg creat or flat patten (wic i need more information where to get it from)

thanks all

michael

Deciding on BB or DSB is a tough decision for others to make for you. Each has pros and cons. If you do BB, then you can get some starboard material for the bottom. Here is a thread discussing some of the different methods: Let's Talk About ~Filtration Concepts~

hi nikki

yesterday i read this post .i want to know if with my filtration filter it will be good enough to run bb. i will add more 2 strong ph.(tunze)

basic like you filtration but without the close loop( i know it's important but can't do it now). and when i can find this starboard (can be in homedepot).

any more idea what i need to run it bb ?

best regards

michael

Your skimmer will be fine for a BB tank (for those that don't know from the previous thread, it is a EuroReef CS8-3). As long as you have lower flow in the tank directed to keep detritus in the water column and prevent it from collecting too badly, then you'll be good. Obviously, if you go BB, then you won't be able to keep critters that need sand.

The benefit to starboard, is it evenly distributes the weight of the rock on the glass bottom, and if there is any kind of falling rocks, then it also won't hit the glass directly. You can likely find starboard at a local plastics place? Not sure on that. Some folks have ordered from US Plastic Corp - White cutting board, and also The Cutting Board Factory: MarinaBoard. The reason I linked you to the Marina Board in the second link, is I have read a few posts that say you want the board to be rated for UV, so that's why I linked it. I thought I should show you both options. I believe FFrankie here, used a piece of acrylic on the bottom of his tank, instead of starboard or cutting board.

Hope this helps!

Back