tank to withstand quake

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cutndrag2

I was wondering if anyone had any information on securing a stand and tank to withstand an earth quake. I never thought I would ask this question but in the past 4 months we have felt the reprocussion of two nearby earthquakes one was a 2.6 and the other a 4.1. I figure it is time to look into it now. :confused:

Hmmm....I've never thought about that. Hopefully some of our California members can share some insight. I don't know if this would help, but we attached our stand to the studs in the wall (the frame of the stand is also welded steel). What size tank is it?

Giving you a little bump....

ok well it is a 55 gal glass tank, mostly soft coral. The main problem is my house is elevated 4 to 5 feet off the ground,on a standard foundation. Both quakes made the house sway back and forth, which made a really cool rhythmic effect until the water started coming out of the tank. I like the idea of attaching it to the studs to keep the tank from falling. Thanks for the advice.

Patrick

Patrick,
I have heard of people using the tie down straps for water heaters attached to their stand and canopy and then screwed into the studs of the wall. Hopefully the stand and canopy have lips to hold the tank on a little and the wieght usually holds it in place a little bit. Nothing is ever full proof, but at least it is something. I survived a 6.4 in the northwest a few years ago with lossing about 5 gallons of water and an elegance that was smashed when the rock work fell. Good Luck

Chris

Hey Chris thanks for the advice sorry about the elegance. i have talked to so many people today and read every thing i could find about this and got some good advice and not so good.The one im not so sure about is hanging the tank from the ceiling? The other good one is building a isolated base filled with sand or a foam that the tank stand rest in so it would allow the isolated base to slide back and forth without the tank moving? the second sounds good to me.

Patrick

Just build it on a swing free from the ground, that way it would just sway with your house, like a hammock

your post didnt include a size, over 200 gal forget bolting it to the wall, it will take the studs with it, check the floor, if you jump on the floor does the tank sway?, if so place a large 1 1/4 ply wood under the base to give it sabillity, also a lip helps on the stand, but in the big one... say good by.. in SF my safe and tank went down 6 stories in to the garage, but it didnt help that I had a wells fargo bank safe that weighed 3000 lbs in the living room and a 400 gal tank in the next room. as for bolting it to the wall, I found the best way is to use 1/4 steel plates to span all the studs and bolt it with the plate on the other side of the wall, what you do is cut out the sheet rock, put the plate into place, then cover it with a thinner rock to match the depth, at that point it will take mort than a good shake to break it free

crazzyreefer - the tank size is 55 gallons and glass. What do you think about a glass tank in an earthquake? Would there be any damage to the seams on the tank in a smaller earthquake? I was wondering about that.

My tank (120 gallons) was mounted to studs in the wall with steel brackets attached to the stand. The reason I did this was not because of earthquakes or tornados, but simply because my stand is tall (36") and I was afraid of it toppling over onto the little one. So, it was more for stability.

Hey Crazzyreefer, about that 1 1/4 plywood under the base what do you think about attaching a piece of neoprene foam to the top of the plywood for the tank to rest on and to absorb some of the vibrations.

Good question NaH2o I hadn't even thought about the seams.
Also another threat to glass tanks is falling rocks, but we have attached the rocks to a solid base made out of PVC pipe.

Patrick

after 1 hour the neoprene will compact,leaving you no better off, the plywood is for floors that ae soft when walking on them, your tank moves, not a good sign. at 55 gal ataching it to a stud is fine, but having a lip on the base is more important then. As for seams earth quakes dont cause seams to split but they can shatter, there is also diffrent types of quakes, having been in many.... the rolling quakes, violent shaking, and the up and down, yea they are not the correct nomenclature, but thats what they do. some you prepare your tank for others it wouldnt matter, I went to a friends home in the loma quake, his home was off the foundation, bricks from the fire place exploded and stuck in a wall 2 rooms away, I love my tank, and I enjoy my home, but in a big one, my home and tank will be in the bottom of the hill, and ill be talking to my AAA rep on replacing the home and contents.

3.0 no way 1.0 maybe. You should of seen my eyes when i finally figured out what was going on :shock:

Back