Tank tragedy averted (probably)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Just 1 hour ago I heard a splashing downstairs and found my skimmer overflowing; my fuge was also almost overflowing. After registering the initial shock I realized that my ATO had become stuck and was flooding the tank with RO.

I immediately turned off the valve and started to suck out some of the water. I figure that about 30 gallons had dumped into my 300g system.

My salinity mS went from 49.5 to 46.5 and my temp plummeted from 79.5 to 78.

I added some of the water (laced with new salt) back into the system and brought the salinity back up to 47.5.

My saltwater friends all seem to be okay save for Gracie (one of my Heniochus). She has developed a "pop eye". The CBS and Cardinals are okay and I know that they can be the most sensitive.

I offered some food and everyone ate so I know that is a good sign but I am terrified that I will end up having some casualties.

I plan on bringing the salinity back up slowly over the next 24 hours. I also am now looking for a better ATO system.

I would appreciate any advice and encouragement as I am really shook up and my "uninitiated" freinds have no idea how I feel. I guess the bottom line is that it could have been worse and thank god I was here.

Thanks everyone.

I am glad that you caught the problem relatively quickly. Reefkeeping is hard enough when everything is working like it is supposed to work.

I visually check on my tanks quite often. If I wake up in teh middle of the night for a snack or a restroom visit, I make the rounds and check on all three tanks.

g

That's bad luck mate. Good luck. If you don't mind what kind of ATO were you using as I'm shopping for one now.

That's bad luck mate. Good luck. If you don't mind what kind of ATO were you using as I'm shopping for one now.

I was just using a mechanical float valve. Like the kind in a toilet - that's how it was set up and I didn't even think about it it. In retrospect it does seem kind of feeble.
I too am looking for a new ATO and am hoping to get some suggestions from this post.

I was looking at the setups on ATO.com and also talking to MyteeMouse as he has built a few from scratch using the float switches from that site.

This is the one Ive been running in my sump(s) for four years without problem. The price hasnt changed at all either, suprisingly.

Last edited:
Trido is there a reason you went with the single vs double switch?

If the first float fails when the water gets up to the second one it will shut the water off. Since the first float does get build up from the tank it is a good idea to have two.

I also made the mistake of only 1 float valve, I have since went to two float system.

I happen to like my JBJ ATO.
One of the main reasons is that it has a timer that only allows it to run the pump for a limited amount of time,( 2 minutes) before it will shut off and you have to reset the unit.
With my feed pump, a maxijet 1200, I can only get a maximum of about 4-5 gallons before the unit shuts down.

JBJ makes a great ATO. They give you a little flexibility on how to install the float switches, if you want a primary and backup in the sump, or one in the sump and one in the ATO Tank, or just one in the sump.

Or you could go the controller route, ReefKeeper has some modules and switches that can be set up all over the place to turn things off and on. Ie. turn the skimmer off when water level is too high, turn the return off if the water is too low, or simply add water.

I know folks that use this and they swear by it, I just never knew about the magnets. My ATO is a 5 gallon bucket, so I am pretty flood safe for now!!!!:D

I have looked at alot of ATO options out there and that is the one thing I want to avoid is any flooding! :D

I will be having enough of a resevoir as possible so that If I leave for a week on business, my wife wont have to do much, yet if the resevoir were to empty all at once, i want to make sure the system can hangle it with no ill effects.

I have looked at alot of ATO options out there and that is the one thing I want to avoid is any flooding! :D

I will be having enough of a resevoir as possible so that If I leave for a week on business, my wife wont have to do much, yet if the resevoir were to empty all at once, i want to make sure the system can hangle it with no ill effects.

I think that with the Tunze system, you will have less worries about that happening. It is like anything else in this hobby, you HAVE to pay for quality, but it usually pays you back!!!

Back