Tank tragedy averted (probably)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The easiest solution I found is to put your float switch actuated top off pump on a timer so that it can only turn on four times a day for a short duration (like a minute). You need to make sure that the total water volume your pump can pump in (for example) four minutes is only slightly more than your daily evaporation. Adjust the time (timer) duration or the pump flow rate (with a valve) to achieve the desired result.

This way, if your float sticks it will only add the relatively small amount more than your daily evaporation, and you should notice the water level change before it gets too high.

If you have a small tank and a large evaporation rate then you may need to increase the number of times per day the pump can turn on but as stated before, make sure it can only pump slightly more than a day’s worth of evaporation.

Just 1 hour ago I heard a splashing downstairs and found my skimmer overflowing; my fuge was also almost overflowing. After registering the initial shock I realized that my ATO had become stuck and was flooding the tank with RO.

I immediately turned off the valve and started to suck out some of the water. I figure that about 30 gallons had dumped into my 300g system.

My salinity mS went from 49.5 to 46.5 and my temp plummeted from 79.5 to 78.

I added some of the water (laced with new salt) back into the system and brought the salinity back up to 47.5.

My saltwater friends all seem to be okay save for Gracie (one of my Heniochus). She has developed a "pop eye". The CBS and Cardinals are okay and I know that they can be the most sensitive.

I offered some food and everyone ate so I know that is a good sign but I am terrified that I will end up having some casualties.

I plan on bringing the salinity back up slowly over the next 24 hours. I also am now looking for a better ATO system.

I would appreciate any advice and encouragement as I am really shook up and my "uninitiated" freinds have no idea how I feel. I guess the bottom line is that it could have been worse and thank god I was here.

Thanks everyone.

Your fishy friends should be just fine, they can fairly easily handle rapid swings in salinity downward. On the otherhand raising the salinity should always be done slowly.

Your coral (if you have any) would likely be more sensitive to the plunge in salinity.

This thread reminds me that I need to figure out a back-up switch for my ATO. I have not had a problem with it sticking on yet, but my reservoir is 55 gal on a 400g system so it would not be good if it stuck.

Back