tanning bed lights

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BmxReeferPunk

i got bored one day and thought what whould happen if i were to install half of tanning bed above a tank would it fry the inhabitants because of the diffrent light spectrums or would something accutualy survive i know it sounds goofy but just woundering if anyone knew anything about it and dont worry im not thinking of it..... :idea: :cool:

i would think the uv output would cause harm on the corals. It's the uv that tans ya. just a thought.

I'd tend to think the same...I would guess they don't produce much "useable" light, just lots of UV

MikeS

Chk out page 56 in Bob Fenners Conscientious Marine Aquarist. UVA is sorta cool and can be good in small doses, UVb and UVc are bad. Its my understanding that the uv from the sun on the reef is absorbed by the water very quickly, since our water is much more shallow and the bulbs do in 15 mins what the sun takes 2 hours. I think it might be a pretty dangerous experiment. Might be cool to try with a frag in a coral quar. tank just to see what happens. Maybe the next great thing to increase color and poloyp extension. Maybe not. What the heck do I know? LOL I aint a coral. LOL Steve

If you had a big enough tank you could float on one of those air mattresses and get a tan...just like being at a Caribbean beach only cheaper....;)

If you had a big enough tank you could float on one of those air mattresses and get a tan...just like being at a Caribbean beach only cheaper

that'd be really kool but i think it'd a bit more than i could afford althogh its a tight idea

Back