tap water for top off?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Phosphates, Nitrates, chlorine, silcates, iron, copper, sediment, rust, fluoride, etc. are in tap water. Algae is fueled by lots of these, some burn fish gills, some hurt inverts, some fuel cyanobacteria, the list goes on and on. Plus, as your water evaporates, some are left in the water, then you go and fill it back up and add more, and the levels just keep on climbing...

All in all, its just bad mojo. You wouldn't find any of these in water around reefs, why put them in your tank?

IMO, hit up eBay and buy yourself a RO/DI unit for $90 and never look back. Or go to your grocery store and get water from those Glacier machines for <$0.50/Gallon.

Some folks do use tap water for topoff, I did it for a couple years with no problems. Different areas have different quality so really hit and miss. Even if you do have good quality tap water that could change without you knowing as a result of utility work or variation at water treatment plant. With RO/DI you know what you are putting in there everytime. I have changed to ro/di just because I have too much invested now to risk it.

I agree...Top off water from the tap can fuel nuicance algae to grow and can screw up your parameters if it is not suited for the aquarium. Only way to be sure is to have it tested, but as mentioned, could be suitable today, but tomorrow after utility work is done etc can change. Better safe than sorry so it's best to stick to ro/di :)

Also, the demand in your area changes and so does whats in your water. Say one day people decide to wash cars, boats, etc., all the stuff thats settled in the main (where everyone's incoming water branches from) gets stirred up and ends up in your tank.

Its gross to think we drink the stuff...

hmm...well i kinda dont have much of a choice..well i do but i dont want to keep running down to the lfs or grocery store to buy water and i dont want to invest more than 50$$ on a ro unit so im basically sol

Ricky
to answer your first post I can send you more pics that you can handle about what happens when you use unfiltered tap water or well water.
Trust me, you dont want to use it.
It may make your saltwater hobby come to a screeching halt.

**all IMO**

Todd

Phosphates, Nitrates, chlorine, silcates, iron, copper, sediment, rust, fluoride, etc.
Well... if that's it... what's the big deal? :D

Just kidding! I'll throw in one more vote for needing RO/DI. If that's simply not an option, don't even bother trying to keep the reef running. Save yourself the trouble, and the livestock the agony. Seriously.

kk, thanks everyone, im going to let the salt run a tiny bit high for about a day so i can get water, then mabey a day later do a large water change, thanks for the advice everyone

I figured with RO for my water changes I could get away with tap water for my top off, tried it for 2 years before I gave up, I had endless diatom blooms from the silicates, and enough nuisance algae to outcompete coralline, couldn't grow coralline at all... here's a nice setup at costco.com for $140.00, you can sell the pressure tank on eBay for around $40.00 (I just did that myself), they also have good prices on replacement cartridges... http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...lang=en-US&Sp=C&hierPath=89*54018*497*&topnav=

Back