Tap Water TDS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

"How fast will your tap water flow through a DI unit? "

Don't know exactly but it fills 35 gallons in I would guess 40 minutes or less

Paul

Just tagging on... I run through a dual DI cannister setup, and have a flow meter/regulator on mine that I have set for 40 gal/hr. I had it set at 60 gal/hr for a while, but decided to slow it down to allow the first cannister to take more stuff out as the resin depletes.

Anyone want a cold glass of tap water?
Riverview, FL.....620 us

It ranges from the 400 to 600. Not sure why.

Glad someone else has crap tap water : ) Mine is 450 - 500 tds consistenly in Indianapolis, IN

In AZ they are around 850 :shock:

Just tagging on... I run through a dual DI cannister setup, and have a flow meter/regulator on mine that I have set for 40 gal/hr. I had it set at 60 gal/hr for a while, but decided to slow it down to allow the first cannister to take more stuff out as the resin depletes.

How is this setup?
I was thinking about using just a DI unit, but I'm not sure how to do it.

"How is this setup?
I was thinking about using just a DI unit, but I'm not sure how to do it. "

Kinda off subject but here ya go!

I took the water plumbed for the Washing machine and added a Y connector. One side to the washing machine one to a valve and then a connector just like an rodi unit does.

Now once it is going thru the 1/4" water line it goes straight to a refillable canister with changing color DI resin which has micron/felt pads at each end so no resin ever goes thru.

It comes out at your tap water pressure in my case not quite zero it reads 2 or 3.

I have this going into an auto top off in a 32 Gallon water container and it shuts off when full.

This in turn has a Tunze auto top off motor inside the water to pump it straight into the top drain of my tank, uphill so gravity does not become an issue.

The tunze water level sensor to turn it's motor on is in the sump.

I don't even really need the Tunze top off unit but that was before I bought the top off unit from Bulk reef supply.

No More water on the floor!

Paul

How is this setup?
I was thinking about using just a DI unit, but I'm not sure how to do it.

I'll post a picture within the next day or two.

In a nutshell, I have a Kold-Steril unit (bad first purchase... back in the day when I though filtered tap water was "good enough") plumbed with the dual DI cannisters after the Kold-Steril filters. The Kold-Steril has two different sets of Polyfilters and a carbon block.

I've tee-ed off of the cold water of my washroom basin faucet and go into the Kold Steril. At the Kold Steril inlet, I have a ball valve so I can service those filters. At the outlet of the Kold Steril, I have another tee. One side of that tee goes into another ball valve, then a industrial flow meter/regulator, then the dual DI cannisters. I've got a HM dual TDS inline TDS meter with one probe between the cannisters and one probe at the outlet of the last cannister.

I've got a plain ol' faucet bolted to the wall above my laundry tub, with the DI outlet plumbed to one side of the faucet (hot water side). The other side of the faucet (cold water side) is connected to that tee after the Kold Steril unit. That way, I can get either DI or just filtered water out, by just turning on the faucet.

I'll be the first to say it ain't a cheap way to get pure water since the resin is doing 100% of the work, but you can't beat the convenience and lack of waste water.

I'll post a picture within the next day or two.

In a nutshell, I have a Kold-Steril unit (bad first purchase... back in the day when I though filtered tap water was "good enough") plumbed with the dual DI cannisters after the Kold-Steril filters.....

Sorry... the "next day or two" ended up to be a bit longer than I'd anticipated! Life just gets in the way, sometimes!

Here's my setup. PM if you have any specific questions...

DSCN0094-1.jpg

DSCN0095-1.jpg

DSCN0096-1.jpg

Back