Taqpol's 120 gallon All in Stand Reef Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Reef Fish!
80709GCoralTangs.jpg

Tangs snacking on romaine lettuce (along with a moorish idol!)
80709GCoralFeeding.jpg

Look at the scalpels on this massive naso!
80709GCoralNaso.jpg

Good old Anthias
80709GCoralAnthias.jpg

Wrasse of some sort:
80709GCoralWrasse.jpg

Is this guy reef safe? Apparently.
80709GCoralShark.jpg

Good looking colony of Turbinaria:
80709GCoralTurbinaria.jpg

Giant toadstool coral, but I've seen bigger:
80709GCoralToadstool.jpg

Not much color, but great bubbles on this nice size BTA:
80709GCoralBTA.jpg

They really liked Euphyllia, these guys are everywhere!
80709GCoralEuphyllia1.jpg

Same with gorgonians, I have never seen this many in one tank:
80709GCoralGorgonian.jpg

Things that didn't look so good....

Recession on an otherwise very nice Favites:
80709GCoralFavite.jpg

Recently fragged favias:
80709GCoralFavia.jpg

Bland (and few) stony corals:
80709GCoralStony.jpg

(nice duncan though!)
80709GCoralStonyDuncan.jpg

And heck, if the Georgia aquarium can have Aiptasia, so can I!
80709GCoralAiptasia.jpg

Overall, I still think their reef tank was cool.
80709GCoralFTS.jpg

Manta Ray (It's hard to take pictures through two foot thick acrylic....)
80709GWhaleManta1.jpg

Some kind of shark looking ray
80709GWhaleRay1.jpg

Its also hard to convey the true size of this 6.3 million gallon aquarium in pictures. Maybe this can help, a grouper that looks like a chromi compared to the whale sharks.
80709GWhaleGrouper1.jpg

Yes, that fish is the size of the child pressed up against the glass.

80709GWhaleGrouper2.jpg

Indeed. thanks for sharing those really nice pics. Those garden eels are awesome. And that's a leefy sea dragon, I do believe. And it is awesome. Did they have a pair? Coool!

Decided I'd finally post some updated pictures as its been a long time and I got a new camera/lens combo (Rebel T1i + Canon 100mm Macro Lens).

Fishies
Yellow Watchmen Goby does not like intruders near his cave!
82009YWG2.jpg

82009YWG3.jpg

Unfortunately, my Powder Blue Tang really does not like him and dive bombs him every time he sees his head poke out:
9109PBTWatchmen.jpg

Both tangs love eating off the powerheads while they are running as well as using them like treadmills:
82009Scopas.jpg

I also added some new fish as of awhile ago.

Tailspot Blenny:
9109Tailspot2.jpg

9109Tailspot1.jpg

Male/Female pair of Target Mandarins. Unfortunately my female mandarin died on me sunday morning for no apparent reason, she was fat, happy, and swimming around the day before...

Male
9109Mandarin2.jpg

Female (R.I.P.)
9109MandarinFemale.jpg

Corals!

Color changing maricultured Acro:
82009MariAcro1.jpg

Cali Tort
82009BlueTort1.jpg

Top down shots of various corals (I really need to get a look through box!)

Purple Plasma
82009PurplePlasma.jpg

Bonsai
82009Bonsai.jpg

This used to be an extremely pale blue acro, now its teal with blue polyps!
82009BlueStag2.jpg

Macro Shots!

Hammerspawn
9109Frogspawn.jpg

Platygyra
9109Platygyra.jpg

100% crop
9109Platygyra100.jpg

Purple rim monti cap
82009MontiCap1.jpg

100% crop
82009MontiCap2.jpg

And finally, my most recent FTS (all the hair algae is gone!)
9109FTS.jpg

These three posts were posted on another forum, but as of this morning I want to repost them here to get your guys' opinions:

Well, I dosed my tank with salifert flatworm exit at 6:00, and now I feel like things have finally settled down enough that I can finally write about whats happening...

From a very trusted source who has done this process on multiple peoples tanks I was advised to use double the recommended dose of Salifert (I have actually heard a lot of people suggest this). After siphoning flatworms out of my tank and into a mesh filter bag into the sump for over an hour (until very few flatworms were visible) I changed the carbon in my TLF reactor and dosed 3 cap fulls of flatworm exit, enough for 240 gallons. I sat on my computer to write about the process, looked over my shoulder, and saw that the tank was FILLED with little red specks. The flatworm exit also immediately shut down polyp extension on all of my corals. Even with siphoning/netting out as many dead flatworms as i can my water has still taken on a sick yellow tinge . I am running my carbon reactor with as much carbon as i can fit in it and i already have a 20 gallon water change lined up for once things settle down.

I should have some crazy pictures up at some point in time, but I sure hope this works out....

Well, I lost a fish, but i can't say it was due to the flatworm exit. It was a chromi that was severely emaciated already and being beaten up on by the rest of the school. That now drops my chromi count from five to three, they're vicious little buggers.

The water is already less yellow, but I have started my overnight water change. I have another water change brewing, just in case. My two clams are starting to open back up, as well as the galaxea and some zoanthids. My lights already turned off, so I'll take a look at the rest of the corals in the morning.

A little bit scared this morning, anyone with advice please chime in.

My tailspot blenny and my three remaining chromis seem fine, but my two tangs and two clownfish are acting a little strange. All of them are swimming in circles around the middle of the tank, and the two tangs have their camouflage patterns on with s few other weird markings. None of them ate when I added food. Also, my purple plasma coral has full polup extension again (the first to get it back), but its purple body appeared very dull.

The lights were off so I am still not completely freaking out. Is there anything I can do besides more water changes/changing carbon?

Back