tds meters- how to read

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carolgyrl1

I just got a tds meter.tested my water, it said 147, this is from my water from my ro/do unit. is that acceptable/ Im not sure waht the numbers mean. I still have to change out two filters on the top of my unit, I changed out the rest of them.

I would read this article. It is a good source of information about TDS:

What is TDS? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Other questions need answering first, but I suspect your filters need changing OR the Tap water is high in nutrients and the filters are not completely removing them.

what type of RO//DI unit do you have (that is, 2,3, or 5 stage) ?
When is the last time you changed your sediment and carbon filters?
When is the last time your changed your membrane filter?
How old is the TDS meter?
Has it ever been calibrated?
What is the TDS level of your TAP water?

acceptable levels of RO water is 0-10 ppm..

personally, I would change the remaining filters and then test again.
how long have the first set of filters been changed??

k, I guess the first rule of thumb is to not take the test in the water that has some salt in it!!!, So, i tested just the clean water that was coming out of my ro/di filter, before it went into and mixed with the water that had salt in it, , well, it measured 32. My aquaruim guy replace four of the filters, it has two (resin??) clear ones on the top that he did not have , has to order them. at this time. I am learning how to replace the filters, what kinds, which ones, ect now. I will get them, put them in, then test the water again. The meter is new, I just got it, My tap water is 225.

getting there, but level is still too high..Ideally, should be 0, but less than 10ppm is OK IMO.

FWIW, I use SpectraPure filters and membranes. You can check them out: SpectraPure Water Purification Products

I also have a coupon for them. If you want the link, send me a PM.

Kirk

Back