tds question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

HUNTER01975

redneck reefer
So being sort new to all things and moving forward deeper in to this hobby I am now learning more stuff.. I thought of this question today at work so I thought I would throw it up and see what people say.

So we filter out the TDS from our water before putting it into our tanks. So does TDS rise again as the fish and corals poop in the water and what not?

I don't have a TDS meter so I can't just go and test my water and see if it does. But from my thinking, I would think the TDS would go back up.

The TDS that we remove from new water going into the tank are harmful elements that do not break down well in our systems. (heavy metals ect)

The TDS in our tanks produced from foods and fish waste are manageable by our biological bacteria within the system. That is why we want to make sure our tanks are cycled and have a healthy bacteria population to handle the bio-load produced by our live stock.

The TDS that we remove from new water going into the tank are harmful elements that do not break down well in our systems. (heavy metals ect)

The TDS in our tanks produced from foods and fish waste are manageable by our biological bacteria within the system. That is why we want to make sure our tanks are cycled and have a healthy bacteria population to handle the bio-load produced by our live stock.
That's very well put and makes perfect sense.

If you tested your saltwater with a TDS meter, you'd find the reading would be off the chart. Salt is a dissolved solid.

+1 u can't measure ur sw tds with a meter. Only fw.
U can do the math. If u know the equation.
D

Back