Teach me RO/DI

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Blood Shrimp

So I've been using tap water. With tetra safe which supposedly neutralizes metals and kills bacteria. I want to get a RO/DI filter. What do these filters do, and where can I get a good one at the BEST PRICE?

tap water :eek:

YA RO/DI is a must.
There are a lot more things than you think in tap water. The RO unit will pull almost all of the "bad" stuff out nitrates, phospates, irons, silicas, clorines. DI is de-ionization of the water. It is like the last purifing section. Google RO DI and you will learn a lot of what it does.
If you keep using tap you will see algea grow and it will not stop.

I have looked a lot into spectrapure and the prices. There a few others that are good but price wise it will all come down to what you want to spend.

So I've been using tap water. With tetra safe which supposedly neutralizes metals and kills bacteria. I want to get a RO/DI filter. What do these filters do, and where can I get a good one at the BEST PRICE?

Check ebay. There are several sellers there that sell units at very low prices.

-Dylan

I got mine off Ebay. At first it did a poor job filtering. Now it is doing perfect. Took about 50 gallons to really do the job.

I would make sure you get the bigger DI bed before the little green ones off Ebay.

Yea I know why it's important, but just need a good price for a good unit. 55 gallon tank here. Don't need anything that big.

If you do ebay donot mention salwater or aquarium in search just ro/di water filter.

Last edited:
Do they have to be permanently installed or can you just get portable ones that connect when you want to make water ?

I have a purifier now but it takes 1/2 hour to make 5 gallons. This requires patience and effort.

RO/DI is a must
check with your local walmart or LFS to see if they sell RO water.until you can get your RO filter. If you go to walmart
they might have a culigan water machine ,its 4 stage filtered water

You can have one that will hook up to a hose bib, you could put a Y fitting then connect your filter and your house. You just need a place for the waste water to drain. If you are talking about the culligan under sink filter with tank for drinking water, those are RO filters, they get rid of chlorine and other things but not nitrates and some other solids.

Last edited:
Great, now I'm back to being confused. Is there one I can buy at walmart or similar place that will do completely dechlorination, large particles and can be hooked up to a sink or hose bib ?

Is there really a difference with all these RO/DI units? Some say they take out more stuff than others.

Back