Teacher Tank Blog

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I am a brand new enthusiast. In fact my tank isn't even up yet. I am setting up a tank for my middle school classroom on a budget ($250.) Don't laugh. I know it's a pittance but its what we have and we are planning on a FOWLR very light on the F.

I started a blog about the experience.

http://middleschooltank.blogspot.com/

I welcome advice of all sorts.

Well I say try and make what you can, DIY. How about making a stand, the tank can come fairly cheap if you don't get anything with it but the necessities separately. Start with the basics, tank, lighting & a few small power heads to circulate water & as much live rock as you can get, you should blow the money about that fast LOL sorry but it is costly even when doing it cheap but maybe you will get some help!;)

Oh welcome to RF, I hope you enjoy this place and learn a few things to pass on to your students!:eek:

Have the students ask around for Live rock and wildlife donations.
That could help a lot. I bet there are spare heaters, overflows, bulbs, food, sand etc available too

what size tank?
that will determine how much live rock,
how many fish,how much salt,subtrate(sand or crush coral),
filter size,lighting,and everything else
you will also need a hydrometer,maybe some 5in1 test strips
by the way welcome to RF

Last edited:
Try and get as much as you can free. You never know if you can get some great stuff from local reefers who might want to help. I have some stuff but not sure if it would be worth the shipping.
pm me

tank

The tank I have already, its a 50 gallon, It used to be FW so copper testing and cleaning will be our first project. I'm debating substrate still.

Welcome to RF!!! I see you've already gotten some great feedback! Good luck with the project and be sure to ask any questions as they come to you:)

I could donate a couple of old powerheads? they are maxijets and they are not easy on the eyes (covered with corali algae) but i could donate them if your looking to cut corners? Let me see how many i have laying around at home chances are its only going to be 1 or 2.

Contact a local club in your area, If they are worth thier salt, they will assist as well. Many have skimmers and lights they could assist with. This way Corpoarates wont require any other type of stuff.

New questions:

I measured my old dirty tank. Its a 55 gallon long (48X13X20). I'm planning on 75 lbs of rock, base and live (1:2). Can I put that much in a narrow tank like mine without risking the glass? I would like sometging other than a wall of rock. I'm planning on Fiji. Thoughts? Concerns? Should I try for a 75 gal set up to get some depth?

Thanks

I have a 55gal and am, at times, frustrated with the depth. But, beggars can't be choosers. The 55 will work fine and it was free, right? ;)

It's good that you won't be keeping corals. That should reduce your light bill.

You are fine with the 55gal and and that much rock... especially if you can get your hands on a skimmer. I think a skimmer is a big key. Get some maxijets to give you a bunch of water circulation. PC lights will do fine for that size too... you can do it.

As previously mentioned, find your local reef geeks club and get donations. I am sure they will have some surplus stuff they would donate or let go cheap. Good luck!!!

Books in the house

I now have CMA and Paletta's newby book. Life is good the reading is great. Any DIY ideas on making screens for sorting sand for a dsb? What kind of sand do you all use? and are you happy with it?

Thanks for all the advice.

Back