Technically Challenged in Lynnwood, WA

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I just love that there's all these Lynnwood people on here! Who'd a thunk it??

I just went to QT Aquariums in the Int'l district (10 minute walk from my workplace) and bought a Odyssea 500 for $35. ;)

Thanks for the offer, Kraut.

Update for 2/12:

Making progress here, slowly but surely. Replacing the repressed GenX 4100 pump with the Odyssea 500 was 70% successful in eliminating my noise/vibration problem. The smaller pump barely makes a sound. But now that unholy racket is gone, I notice that the used Mag drive 9.5 I bought off eBay, and which is attached to my skimmer, is also too loud and vibrate-y. Does this happen over time to pumps that start out quiet?

The Evolution 500 skimmer recommends a high-pressure, not a high-flow pump according to the vendor. They say to use a Magdrive 9.5 or Iwaki 20 RT. My GenX pump stats shown here: http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/pumps_power_genx_submers.html
It is not intended for use with a skimmer according to this page....

Also, when I look at the pictures on the AETech website, I wonder if I even have the skimmer set up correctly. Here's that weblink: http://www.superskimmer.com/Display%20Tank%20ETSS.htm
I've got the skimmer waste output coming out of the top, not the side. And the big "gate"? valve at the bottom is not attached to anything on mine. The water moves from the noisy magdrive pump to the top of the skimmer chamber, shoots down the column of bioballs, makes a bunch of foam, water leaks out the open hole on the side (shown connected to a tube in the photo), and the washed water pours out that open gate valve back into the sump. I wouldn't think it was doing anything except that even running it for an hour I got a quarter inch of dark brown liquid in the bottom of my waste container. I'm still doubtful that I've got it set up right in spite of following the instructions from the ebay seller. :confused: Did I mention that I bought it used? :rolleyes: Anyone familiar with these pumps?

Last point of concern, there is still not much output from the return pump to the display tank. My water level is in equilibrium, thankfully, but when I put my hand in front of the return nozzle the water flow seems kinda measely. Hmmm.

I am better off than I was a week ago though. At least I'm moving water back and forth between the sump and the main tank.

Jan

Last point of concern, there is still not much output from the return pump to the display tank. My water level is in equilibrium, thankfully, but when I put my hand in front of the return nozzle the water flow seems kinda measely. Hmmm.
This is not a big deal. You should not be relying on the return pump for flow in the main tank anyway. This will ensure good dwell time in the sump for the water to be filtered before being returned to the main tank. This will also keep the system quiet.

Now for the skimmer. I think you have it set up correctly ;)
Mag drive pumps (in my experience) are noisy and vibrate a lot. You can quiet them by getting something between the pump and the floor/sump below it. You can use neoprene, mouse pads, the non-slip padding used below area rugs, the non-skid padding used in kitchen cabinets...almost anything that has a rubbery texture and will absorb vibration. It makes a BIG difference. Try that out and report back...I think you'll be suprised.

Also, check that the impeller on the mag is still 100% intact. If it throws a blade or nicks out the impeller at all it gets out of balance and makes even more noise.

jan one other thing about mag drives that I've experienced over the years... for me they run quite hot. We use a mag 9.5 to mix our saltwater in a brute can and dont need a heater even in the cold garage.

jan one other thing about mag drives that I've experienced over the years... for me they run quite hot. We use a mag 9.5 to mix our saltwater in a brute can and dont need a heater even in the cold garage.

Wow! That really is hot. :eek2:

Update for 2/14:

Last night I placed one of those rubbery potholders under the mag drive. It immediately sounded quieter so I was very happy about that. The only sound left was the swishing of the skimmer (still pretty 'out there' because it literally is out there, not contained in a cabinet or anything). So I went about my business and over the next hour the mag drive got louder and louder so that I could hear it from the bottom of the stairs or the end of the hallway in the upstairs. Not good. It started to really aggravate me so once again I turned off the skimmer before going to bed. When the skimmer and pump went quiet it was such a relief!!! I can only imagine how the tank-tenants feel.

So...I either need to find a quiet pump to run this Evolution 500 or get a new pump AND a new skimmer. Or else an oversized acrylic sound-deadener box like they put the blenders in at Starbucks. I really want quiet.

Does anyone have a recommendation of the quietest skimmer & pump-in-sump they've run across? Well-made and rated for up to a 100 gallon tank?

Wow! Mag 9.5 in a Brute can while mixing--That's a lot of pump!:eek2:

It must be like a blender in that can! Do you have to SNAP ON the lid to keep the water from sloshing everywhere!:lol:

I use just a Mag 2 during WCs...
(to pump the fresh saltwater from my garage Brute can, across the kitchen, and into the dining room/tank--and I thought my Mag 2 was overkill!):rolleyes:

Yup, same problem. All the ones I have are pretty much bullet proof, but they are loud and hot. They do make great mixing pumps and trash pumps! I think a good coating of calcium actually quiets them down a bit. :p

I still have my original mag 7 from my first tank.It has a big heater burn across the top where the heater somehow ended up on it. I dont think they can be killed.

Yeah, if the pump isn't headed the correct sideways position in the brute can it can get wild in there. We pump quite a ways during water change so we need the power!! I hate to admit I put a mag 7 (old faithful) in a five gallon bucket once and needless to say I got soaked big time. I've learned a lot of tricks over the years... :)

Last night I bought a Rio3100 to drive my skimmer. I haven't set it up yet but I hope the blurb on the box is true about it being quiet and cool. It sure seems like a lot of pump for a system my size but that's one of the 3 recommended pumps for this skimmer.

Last edited:
It's finally working--I think

Hi folks,

I'm happy to report that I'm finally able to keep my skimmer running, since swapping out the magdrive skimmer pump for the Rio 3100. The Rio is MUCH quiter and noticeably less powerful--less turbulence in the sump, etc. But I'm very happy with it and my clownfish hasn't twitched once.

However, it's been running 12 hours now and hasn't produced any skinmate. Is this unusual? Since this skimmer is used I assume it's already broken in. I cleaned it well before using it in my sump. Before I thought that it was producing skinmate but this turned out to be an optical illusion...there is a 1/4 inch black acrylic base on the bottom of the waste container and I mistakenly thought that this was skinmate. In fact there is nothing coming out of the waste tube. Should I be concerned? Skimmer is ETSS Evolution 500 and seems to be working well; foam is reaching the top of the cylinder.

those skimmers are a pita!!!
o.k. first,
you said the gate valve wasnt attached at the bottom of the skimmer, that the water is just going out the hole...
you need to put the valve on there to adjust the water level in the skimmer body.
these skimmers usually need to be run by external high head pressure pumps to get good results, but hopefully your rio 3100 will suffice, we'll see...
also, i suggest putting a 1/4" valve in the air imput to adjust the amount of air being drawn into the skimmer, if you throttle it back a bit, you get better results, less "burping"of large bubbles. you just have to play with it to find the sweet spot.
same with the valve on the water outlet, you want the water level right at the top of the reaction chamber, just before it travels into the skimmer neck, if you make the water level much higher than that then the extra water in the reaction chamber causes extra pressure for the bubbles to overcome on the way down the injection tube w/ bio balls, resulting in loss of air.

there's a whole bone yard of these skimmers at our store's coral prop facility:shock:

those skimmers are a pita!!! / Huh? Is this good or bad?o.k. first,
you said the gate valve wasnt attached at the bottom of the skimmer, that the water is just going out the hole... / The gate valve is attached but is wide open.you need to put the valve on there to adjust the water level in the skimmer body. / The AE rep said that the water level should be 8-10" in the skimmer body. Correct? I think I will have to plug the small hole on the side of the skimmer where that one photo shows a line plugged in; mine is open and leaks water out. Agree?these skimmers usually need to be run by external high head pressure pumps to get good results, but hopefully your rio 3100 will suffice, we'll see.../ I hope so as I'm tired of buying new pumps. Plus, it was rec'd by AE.
also, i suggest putting a 1/4" valve in the air imput to adjust the amount of air being drawn into the skimmer, if you throttle it back a bit, you get better results, less "burping"of large bubbles. you just have to play with it to find the sweet spot./ OKay...but hubby & I are definitely over our heads with this.same with the valve on the water outlet, you want the water level right at the top of the reaction chamber, just before it travels into the skimmer neck, if you make the water level much higher than that then the extra water in the reaction chamber causes extra pressure for the bubbles to overcome on the way down the injection tube w/ bio balls, resulting in loss of air./Can I hire you to come to my house and help me? :oops:

there's a whole bone yard of these skimmers at our store's coral prop facility/ Bone yard as in, they're dead? :shock:

a picture is worth a thousand words...i'll take pics of the evolution 750 at work to show you what im talking about, then you'll understand...i'll do it tomorrow.
and if you really wanted, yes you could have me come do it for you :)

Back