teflon tape vrs silicon?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

travis_

Sea Cucumber
What is better to use, teflon tape of silicon? What about on bulkhead fittings? Should I use the rubber gasket or silicon.

thanks,

def use the rubber gasket that comes with the bulkhead. i use teflon and no silicone. i also use the sced 80 bulkheads and have had no leaks with them as compaired to the thiner cheaper bulkheads.

Well I use the sced 80 bulkheads and a little silicone just for insurance!
I know I dond have to but I dont like leaks!
No tape for me!
(i hate that stuff) I feel like a retard when I try to use that stuff It never goes on right and alway bunches up!
Maybe I'm a little in the "SLOW" side????

def use the rubber gasket that comes with the bulkhead. i use teflon and no silicone. i also use the sced 80 bulkheads and have had no leaks with them as compaired to the thiner cheaper bulkheads.

thanks, anyone have any ideas where I can get replacement gaskets?

Teflon tape all the way.. I do ALOT of residential plumbing and as far as I'm concerned, silicone is for caulking inside corners. NOT plumbing. You can use a bit of silicone on your bulkhead gaskets if it makes you feel better, but be aware that the extra lubricant makes it real easy to squease the gasket right out from between the two surfaces and not seat properly. It will also need 24 hours to cure before adding water.

Hi all

in my 600gal came with schd 80 bulkheads no silicone no tape.

Travis, your lfs should have them laying around.

Silicone and Teflon tape are for two very differing uses- Teflon is for reducing the friction on the threads and allowing the fitting to become as tight as reasonably possible. Silicone is for filling gaps and making them watertight. When doing non-aquarium related plumbing, I go so far as to use teflon tape AND pipe dope.... no leaks on anything I have ever done that with :)

As for the gaskets, I have used just the gasket and I have done so without the gasket but with silicone instead.... much prefer a gasket applied properly and the nut correctly tightened. Using teflon on the threads of a bulkhead can actually allow you to over-tighten & crack the fitting.

Back