tell tale signs of Dendro vs sun coral.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
So I was given some corals today by someone tearing down their tank. I was told they were two heads of baby dendro polyps, but they look more yellow and tiny than my last Dendro. How can I tell for sure?

Hello,
The two corals don't really look much alike. When closed Sun Coral (Tubastrea faulkneri) looks similar to a colony of Zoanthids. Tree Coral (Dendronephthya) on the other hand looks more like a colorful/fuzzy Colt Coral (Cladiella sp.) with a uniform trunk to the base. If you Google the scientific names you will find some excellent images of each.

Regards,
Kevin

Hello,
The two corals don't really look much alike. When closed Sun Coral (Tubastrea faulkneri) looks similar to a colony of Zoanthids. Tree Coral (Dendronephthya) on the other hand looks more like a colorful/fuzzy Colt Coral (Cladiella sp.) with a uniform trunk to the base. If you Google the scientific names you will find some excellent images of each.

Regards,
Kevin

I think he's referring to Dendrophyllia, not Dendronepthea, Kevin ;)

Generally, sun corals (tubastrea) have smaller polyps, and grow in tighter bunches, while dendrophyllia gets bigger and more spread out.

I dont know if it's a way to tell, but my dendros are out most of the time where my sun coral is only out when there is food in the water....

Thanks for the help guys. It had been so long since I had a dendro I couldn't tell. I picked up some definite dendrophyllia the other day and seeing the two side by side there are clearly differences.

Oops,
I was just looking at some cool pictures of a tank full of Dendronephthya so they came to mind first :rolleyes: . See why scientific names are important :)

"Dendrophyllia, Not distinguishable from very similar Tubastrea without examination of dead skeletal (septal fusion) characteristics." Quoted from Bob Fenner.

Regards,
Kevin

Dendros usually have feeding tentacles come out during the day while sun corals have to been trained to feed during the day.

Back