temp controller for fans

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

divebud

I have installed a few 4 inch fans in my tank hood and sump. Now I need a way of controlling them other then my wife and I checking the temp and turning them on and off. I have had timers but the cycles are note static and the temp still varies +/-1.5 degrees.

I'm thinking about a standard houshold thermostat. As I can figure out, most are based on 3 wires. What do these 3 wires do. Are standard houshold therm's AC or DC ? Does anyone have any info on this subject.

What about some other sources for temp fan control. I had read on one post about a computer temp controlled but could not find any further info.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.

If you're talking about the type of thermostat that goes on a furnace, they're low voltage. so you'd have to have them trigger a relay of some sort.

What does "low voltage" mean. Ac or Dc ? I picked one up at home depot to fool around with but the instruction really simple, just describe how to swap it out. There are three wires. When I replace to one in the house it had three wires also.

Ok, now this is just friendly piece of advice. This is saltwater and electricity. I was on nuclear subs and we had a saying if you dont know how it works leave it alone. LOL Seriously this is something that can kill you or your family, at the least just your corals and fish. If you need advice on wether a thermostat is ac or dc dont mess with it. This is not to be mean at all.
If you want a temp controlled fan icecap makes a really really nice one that is SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve

I really appreciate it. I have done a lot of work with boat and car electrical system and feel really safe around 12v, but not AC - I leave that up to the pro's. That's why I'm trying to find a simple controller. All the fans I have are running 12v.

Back