Temperate reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dimdim

Ive been looking into these coldwater fascinations, im from ontario canada, and dont see much info on livestock purchasing for coldwater on this side of the 49

Give it some time for people to answer theres a few people on here that keep the cold water tanks and will have info.

Hey there Dimdim. Temperate reefs operate differently from tropical reef tanks. First off is water temp, keeping water temps between 50-60f (9-14c)is key so unless year round air temps are below this then a chiller will be needed. Tank construction is key too. Typically you will want to use acrylic due to it's insulating properties and resistance to sweating. The thicker the better. I had a very successful test with the Aqueon Evolve 8. It would be improved by running pipes out of the ovoverflow into a cooler sump where you can run a skimmer and chiller. In temperate reefs you cannot count on biological filtration. Really a little after the tank cycles(6months later) so I use bioballs laden with beneficial bacteria and always have a bag of chemipure. In my 140 I run a giant bag rated for 175-200 gallons. Skimming and mechanical filtration is where you want to concentrate. Get the poop and food out of the water. Kinda like my cichlid tank in that regard. And frequent water changes will help with the nitrates(I'm heading out in a few to pick up 50gallons from the Seattle aquarium for my water change today) Because temperate species of inverts are nps for the most part and require
frequent feedings. Lighting is not important and can be done to your style or taste. For green surf anemones and aggregating nems having stock t5 lighting would be fine. And those are the most photosynthetic for temperate species. For livestock contact the guys at coldawater marine Aquatics. They are the only reliable and legal vendors out there. And have a wealth of info and experience to share. Check out their website to see what they have. They also might be able to find specific species if you want something in particular. And check out my 140 gallon Coldwater build. It talks in detail about alot of this. Anyway I hope this helped:)

Back