temperate stuff

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

epiphanus

Does anyone here maintain coldwater marine tanks? Do you know of good photos of any? I'm interested in whatever might be available, whether it's from Tasmania, South Africa, NE or NW United States, Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, etc. I'm especially interested in sources of quality retail livestock.

Define coldwater? What is the maximum temperature you want to keep?

I know the catalina goby does well in cool saltwater tanks. I believe the max temp for this fish is lower 70s.

Does anyone here maintain coldwater marine tanks? Do you know of good photos of any? I'm interested in whatever might be available, whether it's from Tasmania, South Africa, NE or NW United States, Northern Europe, the Mediterranean, etc. I'm especially interested in sources of quality retail livestock.

I'm sure I could do a bit of snorkeling here in the sound and grab a whole bunch of good stuff for ya...:lol: The water here is only like 55 degrees...:lol:

Define coldwater? What is the maximum temperature you want to keep?

I know the catalina goby does well in cool saltwater tanks. I believe the max temp for this fish is lower 70s.

Well, I use the term "coldwater" out of convention, really. It truly is a relative, if not useless, term. "Temperate" is most appropriate, technically, and doesn't even imply cold but, rather, moderate temperature ("polar" is cold, but again, it's relative-- a polar organism would say those waters are just right, and that temperate waters are warm). To further complicate the issue, the terms temperate, tropical, etc. refer to latitude and not temperature. Latitude is, of course, a function of temperature, but we must remember that this doesn't relate to a particular temperature value; for example, one may find very cold water indeed in the tropics at extreme depths, prevailing oceanic currents may bring warm waters to temperate or even polar environments, and so on. But, putting all of that aside, temperate temperatures usually fall between the mid-40's to the mid-60's. Most species from these habitats can be successfully maintained in aquaria at temps in the upper 50's. You offer an interesting example in the case of the catalina gobies, which are usually said to occur in temperate waters-- though, technically speaking, they are really subtropical. ;)

LOL Your title asks about Temperate and your first post states "Cold." Which is it you're interested in? Instead of a science lecture...you were asked what the maximum temperature is that you were interested in keeping. A simple answer would help others help you more effectively...lol. No insult intended.

LOL Your title asks about Temperate and your first post states "Cold." Which is it you're interested in? Instead of a science lecture...you were asked what the maximum temperature is that you were interested in keeping. A simple answer would help others help you more effectively...lol. No insult intended.

None taken, Sid :). I am interested in maintaining an aquarium at a temperature between 55F and 60F. Any info on stuff kept near that temp range would be welcome, however.

That is a tough one. Our local waters (Seattle) are easy but illegal to collect from. I think your best bet would be to contact Steve Weast. UW is also a good place to start.

Don

That is a tough one. Our local waters (Seattle) are easy but illegal to collect from. I think your best bet would be to contact Steve Weast. UW is also a good place to start.

Don

I did not know that =( I had no immidiate plans, but I thoguht it a cool venture for the future. Is there no way to get a permit? What would be the closest place to legally collect?

Don

That is not neccessarily true. The state makes a distinction between "personal use" and "commercial use". There are rules for personal use collection throughout the DFW website. Don't collect or sell to others.......that will place you under the commercial moniker. First of all....you have to make sure you're not in a reserve.....which can be found here....

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/mpa/puget_sound/

Second....depending on what you're collecting, there might be a season, or limit. Some of that information can be found here....scroll to the bottom for the critters we're interested in....

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/crabreg/otherspeciesregs.shtml

Remember....this type of collection is not on the DFW's radar since so few are interested in collecting what we want. The Washington state DFW site is full of gray areas and contradictions that leave us scratching our head. It is not even clear what license we need....so, I just get a fishing, shellfish, and seaweed license to cover all possible bases......but....it is not true that all collection is illegal......otherwise, the whole area would be one big reserve.

In Oregon, there are similar regulations....but they are a little more clear as what license we need.. Scroll to the bottom for critters we want...

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/shellfish/regulations.asp

Last edited:
Back