temperature in tank goes up why?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

supamarine

wondering why the temperature in my tank goes up it was at 76 ..then 78 then 80..i put ice in tank but it cooled it to 76 den was back at 80..when i first bought the tank it was at 82+ why?

Uhhhh. LOL More info please. Tank size, room temp, lighting type, and number of fans with lighting. Light cycle hours on and off. Number and types of pumps. Open top, or glass lids, canopy? More info=better answer. HTH STeve

oh sorry...the lights are not on..the lid is closed...its a 4foot tank with onli live rock and no fish yet...there are no fans...but the lights are not on...there are 2 pumps...small and medium size pumps

Ok elimated lighting, Small and medium pump are they submersible? What brand are they. What type (brand of heater) are you using? How old is it? Is your tank exposed to sunlight? What is the temp. of the room it is in? This is a issue you will need to remedy before your lights are ready to be used. They reason I ask about heater and pumps. Is that some of them are pretty crappy and add huge amounts of heat to the water, and some heaters seem to stick on and not have a acurate thermostat. Also what type of thermometer are you using. Is it a digital one or a glass drop in or a lcd stickon the side of the tank type. Are they pumps and heaters used? or new? Sorry for all the questions but it is the only way I know to help you. Steve

For those of you still having summer, how hot is it getting in your house? (Remember, if you tell us what the temperature is in Celsius, we’ll have to do the math! :eek: )

MarineDreamer said:
For those of you still having summer, how hot is it getting in your house? (Remember, if you tell us what the temperature is in Celsius, we’ll have to do the math! :eek: )

WebMath Conversions for the mathematically impaired, (like me).

Good questions Steve...way to jump in and get the ball rolling.

Nick

its autumn in australia right now..but even though it was a cold day the temperature is rising and todai temperature is rising inside the tank the pumps is called viaaqua-powerhead its 15w and da other one doesnt sai but its bigger..there is no direct sunlight or light from ceiling its on corner of wall..the heaters and pump is submerged but the heater has never clicked on in my presence..my thermometer works as i bought a new one...and preeti sure its working...can u plz help me..i had the tank for a bit over a month and has been above 80+ farenheit...need to put fish in but worried temperature will keep going up

Ok its one of a few things. The bulb on the heater may of burned out, one of the pumps may have a restriction and is having to work very hard. The thing to do is unplug on of the pumps. And let the tank run for 24 hours without it. If it is still hot, plug it back in and unplug the next one, run for 24 and if still hot unplug the heater and run for 24 if still hot Somethng very strange is going on. Also, how sure about the thermometer? I always have a saying that new means new, new does not mean it works right. LOL HTH. Steve

like i touch the water with my hands and i can feel itz warm compare to the pet shop its cold there....my tank is warm...

Or here is are more things to try. Reach in and touch the heater. Is it hot even though the light it off? Take out one of the pumps and put it in a bucket of water and run it overnight. Measure temp of water out of the tap and then the next morning with the pump running, Do the same with the other pump. All we can go on is what info you give us. Im betting its one of two things, heater is stuck on and not lighting the bulb, or a pump is having to work very hard to pump water. Do you have any restrictions on one of your pumps? Like say a spraybar or something that would restrict flow. Really trying to help. Steve

supamarine said:
oh sorry...the lights are not on..the lid is closed...its a 4foot tank with onli live rock and no fish yet...there are no fans...but the lights are not on...there are 2 pumps...small and medium size pumps

i would also remove the lid or lids, this can trap the heat and evaporated water and cause a greenhouse affect, which will also heat a tank
you might also try to find a small fan that will clip onto the tank or the wall and direct it towards the tank, this will cause more water to evaporate, but should help to keep the temp down

you can also just unplug the heater, just incase it is coming on when you are not there

just a few ideas :)

no worries, we will help you get it straight

Jay

most pumps will add 2-3F to the tank in no time... Expecially Submursibles... Also with the top being closed it will also make the temps rise... If the pumps are having that much of an Effect might consider a chiller..

James

Back