Ten Good Reasons

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

lizardarm

Reptilian Disco Biscuit
between a rock and a hard place: (Bremerton, WA)
Alright Everyone,
I don't know if this one's ever been done before but...
I sold my old reef a couple of years back now, and soon after started regretting it. So here I am, I've been gathering up all sorts of new gear for the last year and a half to start up a new reef tank; I've gathered everything I need finally to put water in it and get the cycling process started. But alas! at this late hour before execution of my plan I've grown what appear to be cold feet. It really got me to thinking- what is it that compells us on in this hobby? It's a lot of work, a lot of money, and a lot of worry. Why do we do it? and why should I jump back in?
So, I'm looking for input from anyone regardless of experience level. Let's see if we can't come up with ten good reasons why I should put water in my tank.
T.I.A. very much
-chris

1. Relaxation - Remember how nice it is to sit in front of your tank for a long length of time?

2. Entertainment - IDK about you, but my computer is near my tank, and I constantly look away from my screen to my tank just to watch for a while.

3. Challenge - A hobby wouldn't be a hobby if there weren't some ups and downs associated with it. For me, its the challenge of keeping things clean, in balance, etc.

4. Equipment - I love the fact that everything is so tunable, and "moddable" on most of the equipment on the tank. You can mesh mod, redirect flow, MJ mod, add and remove sumps, fuge's, powerheads, etc.

5. Other People's Reaction - I love seeing people's reaction and hearing what they have to say

6. Frag trading - I've made a few friends simply by trading frags, or selling them, etc. Its such an informative community, everyone is more than willing to help you out with a problem.

7. Research - IMO, knowledge is power. Its great to read about something new and put it together with other things you know and step back and say "oh duhh". Alot of the time it will also help you find the solution to your problems.

8. Behavior - I used to keep a FW tank, and comparatively, the amount of personality in the fish is nothing compared to SW. I've never seen a FW fish watch you as much as you watch them, and swim to the front of the tank when you come into the room.

9. Fuge - To me, its almost as entertaining to look into my sump and see all the growth and life. Hundreds of different types of copepods, algaes, etc. all in a little box thats helping your display tank thrive better.

10. Room Decor - It might just be from having such an interest in the hobby, but I'll walk into someone's house and picture a tank either built into a wall or on a nice stand. For me it sort of helps "complete" the room by adding some life to it.

11. Compared to other pets, this is one hobby that is easier to manage in certain aspects.
You don't walk it, have to clean up piles of its feces in your yard, bath it, etc. Instead, you change some water once in a while, add some food and watch.

12. Live Rock - Who here hasn't sat and looked really close at their live rock to see whats going on inside all the pores, crevices, caves, overhangs, and even out in the open.

13. Symbiotic Relationships - It probably makes up 90% of our tank.

You have:
Anemone-Clown Relationship: Clown has protetion and place to spawn, Anemone gets fed and protected.
Nitrifying Bacteria: Fish poop feeds bacteria, bacteria cleans water for fish
Xxooxanthellae: Corals provide a place for this bacteria to grow, in return for a source of energy. Its what gives coral its color.
I'm sure theres more too.

Its funny, I got into reef keeping a couple years ago, I used to have fresh water but always wanted to try salt. I talked to a bunch of people and 3 of them told me "don't do it, go with a fresh water planted tank, you will be so much happier" Its the only hobby I have been in that people actually told me not to get into in. I was a bit miffed, I thought "do these people think I am not good enough to join the club or what?" But now I find myself doing the same thing.
I go through phases with my tank. In the summer its a burden, it gets neglected and I don't think I even look at it much. In the winter its a totally different story. I really dig my tank in the cold weather months, I think its the perfect winter time hobby and I spend alot of time enjoying it.
So, winter is coming, time to fire up those halides!

14. I have made some great friends strictly due to a shared interest in this hobby. I would never trade that for anything.

15. Commercials- You cant DVR everything and you need something to watch during them.
16. Lowest maintanance pet- You dont have to potty train them, they dont eat socks or attack the Christmas tree. They don't yowl and howl for food every morning, no spay or nuetering, no vet visits at all. Some only feed and clean parts and do WCs once a week.

17. Color- What other kind of pets (besides birds, dont get me started) can you have that are quite so colorful?

Alright Everyone,
I don't know if this one's ever been done before but...
I sold my old reef a couple of years back now, and soon after started regretting it. So here I am, I've been gathering up all sorts of new gear for the last year and a half to start up a new reef tank; I've gathered everything I need finally to put water in it and get the cycling process started. But alas! at this late hour before execution of my plan I've grown what appear to be cold feet. It really got me to thinking- what is it that compells us on in this hobby? It's a lot of work, a lot of money, and a lot of worry. Why do we do it? and why should I jump back in?
So, I'm looking for input from anyone regardless of experience level. Let's see if we can't come up with ten good reasons why I should put water in my tank.
T.I.A. very much
-chris

If you only knew how many times I ask myself this, then I look at all of your answers, way more than you asked for, I can't get away form it, this is a part of who I am, yea it takes lots of money to do it right, It takes dedication but the rewards are on a level that goes unseen by most & I'm not talking about a successful reef tank but for the many more things that is associated with them, & success just adds to that.

Go look at my tank, I have a few fish, crabs & snails, been almost two years now & yet to put corals in it, I'm now ready for them but you don't see me jumping into it wide open, I may never completely finish it or accomplish everything I've started out to do but to me, it doesn't matter, I know I can If that is what I wanted but that isn't the point, not for me anyways.

Well dang Snowboarda, you pretty much just nailed it. I definately do remember the hours lost to just staring. Granted, often times that just staring turned into me sticking my hands in to tweak something; that eternal pursuit for "just right".
It's also true that there's really no comparison, entertainment/interaction wise between freshwater fish and marine fish. I'm not too sure about these aquariums being on the low maint side, but that might be just me as I have a real bad habit of tinkering too much.
Curt, you are absolutely dead on with that one- there are some great people in this hobby and I've made some good friends.
Alright my batteries are fully recharged. Thanks everyone, but let's keep it flowing here, I'm really liking these ideas.
-Chris

Back