Test kits and color blindness

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bananimal

Hey peeps,

I'm going to be getting into the hobby soon and I'm wondering if the test kits available for PH, Calcium, Alkalinity etc would give someone such as my self problems with seeing the actual results of the tests properly. I'm color blind with greens and reds. If this is a porblem are there any alternatives to the chemical test kits such as digital readout equipment?

Thanks

Not sure what colors you aren't able to make out but my salifert tests require a change from pink to blue for Calcium and magnesium and the oposite for alk. As far as PH it is much more acurate anyway to go with a probe and readout.

Not sure what you might be able to do for the other readings like Ca, Ma, and Alk. Sorry I'm not much more help.

Duane

Thanks, I have great difficulties discerning between certain shades of red and green. Pink may very well fall into that group of colors that are difficult for me.

What I'm most concerned with is that the colors in the test tube may not match the colors on the color cards for me. I've had this happen to me back in the eighties during my first bout with SW. It always left me wondering if I read the results accurately or not.

Last edited:
With salifert it is a quick change in color that you are looking for. I would find someone local and see if the tests will work for you. As for PH I would recomend a monitor because it is soo much easier and in the long run if you add kalkwasser or a CA reactor then you might want to watch how it swings during the day and night.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! Hope you find the website helpful!

For sure a pH monitor would be a good choice, just remember to calibrate it often. Maybe see if someone local has some Salifert tests that you can try out for Calcium and Alk. The calcium test goes from pink to blue, so you may be able to notice when the color change occurs (oops, Ohgee posted this already...I'm rambling :)). Salifert phosphate kit is different shades of blue I believe. Another option for your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate would be to have your LFS test for you. Or bring your test kits in with you and see if they can verify your results.

There is always the "invite a friend over for pizza and beverage", and ask them to help with reading the result.

Hey Banana animal - i do not have a colour blindness problem but I still think soem to the test kits are difficult to interpret accuratley - I purchased a PH monitor due to believing based on 2 different test kits my PH was 7.9 - 8.1 - the monitor proved my PH was 8.39 (used buffers regurlarly due to interpertation on low PH)

I have similar problem with Nitrate test kit using both Tetra and Salifert -

The best solution I have found with tests that are based on fluids or powders is to get a 2nd opinion - Thus i test weekly and ask my better half which colour she feels it closest to

Steve

That's probably what I'll wind up doing. Who knows, maybe my wife will be able to take care of the tank when I'm away on business if I get her involved.

There will be many additional benefits of sharing the hobby with your wife aside from the ones you have mentioned - Sick of aftershave or hankies for Xmas? encourage your partners interest in your hobby and you may well enjoy next December far more than previous ones (I got a Toadstool leather? last one it was a joint gift from both of us to both of us

I must admit that my wife is very enthusiastic about the idea of owning a reef setup. However, her enthusiasm wains when it comes to the Benjamin's involved. So, it's important that I can get half way decent results in maintaining the tank. Otherwise she'll make me convert it to an African Cichlid tank. YIKES!

Seriously, with so many opinions on everything in this hobby it's difficult sometimes to make sense of it all. Being able to correctly read water testing results is paramount to success in this hobby. Knowing that I'm color blind doesn't alleviate any of my fears let me tell ya. I know it's pretty bad when my wife comes home and asks who dressed our 4 year old son because the colors don't match! LOL I always tell her he dressed himself. She knows better.

I have the exact same condition. After a few tries with salifert kits and my wifes good eyes I got it down. Do find white background, I use my refrigerator. The ph is not possible for me but like every one says a meter fixed that. But do get the salifert ph just for back-up and have your wife or kids read it. Good Luck

Don

Well Bananimal, if Don can do it, you can do it. His stuff is awesome. I know the test kits can be hard to determine. I almost always ask for a second opinion my self. Salifert calcium might be hard for you pink/red to blue/purple. My niece loves to watch me testing. When she sees me get the test kits box, she always says lets make yellow, or blue, or pink or whatever. I try to oblige. She is also my back up drop counter, she will sit and count the number of drops with me. This is just me bragging, I cant help it, she is so cool. Turns 3 on July 2cnd and can say and point out, Acropora, Montipora, Favia, Ricordia, Anenmone, Tricadia, Rodactis, and Zooanthid. She loves the tank as much as I do. Somebody said it better than I could, for kids, "Better a reef, than reefer" Steve

Thanks for the input on this guys. I'll more than likely take some readings with my wife and then take them to my LFS to validate our readings. That should help build confidence in using the kits. I'll definetly look into a PH meter. Actually, I might buy two of them and check them against eachother when testing just to be sure.

Thats Wrightme for braggin about your 3yr old niece pointin out corals, i cant even do that yet =( I just wanted to know what PH monitors people use, is there a cheap/good one?

Not sure on price Jiddy but I use the IKS aquastar hand held monitor and am very happy with its ease of use and more importantly its ease of calibration

Bit like using a refractometer for testing salinity - initial investment is higher but you soon feel it was value for money after using it and comparing with the old test kits or old floating hyrdometer

Steve

I use a Pinpoint pH monitor. Monitors are only good as long as they stay calibrated. Be sure to recalibrate often :)

I for one had a lot of trouble reading the test kits I used to use.... but I like the Salifert color changes and am glad I switched up.

If you goto the S.Dakota Marine Forum on here there is a pricelist that is updated frequently for salifert test kits FYI

Back