Test kits for Iodine and Iron?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tava716

tava716
Hey all! How was your thanksgiving? I purchased soem iodine and some iron a couple of days ago and am following the directions on the bottles. Do I need to be testing (with a test kit)? If so, what should the perameters be? does anyone know of a good brand of test kit? I am also going to start adding calcium.

Tank is 11 months old. Figured it was tiem to start dosing these 3 things.

Any advise/education would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks gang!

James

You really dont need to dose iron or iodine. I'd skip both. I would be testing ca and alk.

Don

The only Iodine kit I have ever used that works is by Salifert. I have never heard of anyone dosing iron. Frequent water changes is all that is really needed.

Yea, better not dose anything unless you are testing current levels....

If you do regular water changes, you well get everything you need and won't have to worry about all these levels and test and polluting your tank.

If you do want to dose Iodine make sure you do not overdose and test before and after you dose wait at least 4 hours before testing again. Like someone said above Salifert test kits have a very good reputation. The owner of Salifert company is a very good person and readily backs his product and is willing to communicate if you have any questions. What else could you ask for in a supplier of test products?

Thanks for the info guys! Right now I use "Instant Ocean". Does anyone prefer the "Reef Cyrstals" over the regular Instant ocean salt?
lg_116528_26784D.jpg

tava716 said:
Thanks for the info guys! Right now I use "Instant Ocean". Does anyone prefer the "Reef Cyrstals" over the regular Instant ocean salt?
lg_116528_26784D.jpg
We currently use Instant Ocean--and from what I hear some of the larger aquarium type attractions use it as well. Yeah, I fight some calcium issues as well as mag and stront---but I have figured that these are going to be constant problems and I just dose accordingly.

Anne

Back